all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-18 15:18 Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-18 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Some days ago, I posted http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/c401c22ab28b582c.
Actually, my Gnus was showing `Denied posting -- empty article' ,
something it had never shown before when posting. Posting on Usenet
was then a random action, and it sometimes worked, and sometimes not.
Now, my Gnus never accepts posting something on Usenet. Before these
problems, my Gnus always accepted posting whatever on Usenet. Its
behaviour was irreproachable.

The only thing I have changed in my whole Emacs & Gnus config. is that
I installed, some days ago, AUCTeX. Everything went right, and, even
the installation's day, Gnus accepted to send articles on Usenet. Now,
it won't do anything like that. Why? I changed nothing.

Here is what I appended to my .emacs after having installed AUCTeX
with preview-latex. (I have also tried by removing these lines from
the .emacs, which does not change Gnus' behaviour.)

==
(setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/preview/" load-path))

(load "~/auctex-11.86/auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "~/auctex-11.86/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)
==

Thanks.

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-18 15:32 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2010-04-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Merciadri Luca (2010-04-18) writes:

> The only thing I have changed in my whole Emacs & Gnus config. is that
> I installed, some days ago, AUCTeX. Everything went right, and, even
> the installation's day, Gnus accepted to send articles on Usenet. Now,
> it won't do anything like that. Why? I changed nothing.
>
> Here is what I appended to my .emacs after having installed AUCTeX
> with preview-latex. (I have also tried by removing these lines from
> the .emacs, which does not change Gnus' behaviour.)
>
> ==
> (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/" load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/preview/" load-path))
>
> (load "~/auctex-11.86/auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "~/auctex-11.86/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> ==

It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
`load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.  If
you ignore something like that, you have to be prepared that things go
wrong.

I'd try to disable the lines in your init file you've shown above, then
restart Emacs and check if the problem is gone.  If not, start Emacs
with the --debug-init command line switch in order to check if there is
something else in your init file leading to an error.

--
Ralf

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-18 18:44   ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 18, 5:32 pm, Ralf Angeli <dev.n...@caeruleus.net> wrote:
> * Merciadri Luca (2010-04-18) writes:
>

> > The only thing I have changed in my whole Emacs & Gnus config. is that
> > I installed, some days ago, AUCTeX. Everything went right, and, even
> > the installation's day, Gnus accepted to send articles on Usenet. Now,
> > it won't do anything like that. Why? I changed nothing.
>
> > Here is what I appended to my .emacs after having installed AUCTeX
> > with preview-latex. (I have also tried by removing these lines from
> > the .emacs, which does not change Gnus' behaviour.)
>
> > ==
> > (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/" load-path))
> > (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/preview/" load-path))
>
> > (load "~/auctex-11.86/auctex.el" nil t t)
> > (load "~/auctex-11.86/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)
> > ==
>
> It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
> `load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
> is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
> install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.
I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
added these directories because I thought they were necessary.
/

> I'd try to disable the lines in your init file you've shown above, then
> restart Emacs and check if the problem is gone.
I tried. Even after having commented out the lines, still nothing
works for posting a message with Gnus.

> If not, start Emacs
> with the --debug-init command line switch in order to check if there is
> something else in your init file leading to an error.
Thanks for this idea. I just tried, and no error is shown.

Actually, I think that AUCTeX is redefining some commands and
shortcuts that are also used in Gnus. How could I modify the AUCTeX's
shortcuts?

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-18 18:54     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-04-18 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 18, 5:32 pm, Ralf Angeli <dev.n...@caeruleus.net> wrote:
>> * Merciadri Luca (2010-04-18) writes:
>>

>> > The only thing I have changed in my whole Emacs & Gnus config. is that
>> > I installed, some days ago, AUCTeX. Everything went right, and, even
>> > the installation's day, Gnus accepted to send articles on Usenet. Now,
>> > it won't do anything like that. Why? I changed nothing.
>>
>> > Here is what I appended to my .emacs after having installed AUCTeX
>> > with preview-latex. (I have also tried by removing these lines from
>> > the .emacs, which does not change Gnus' behaviour.)
>>
>> > ==
>> > (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/" load-path))
>> > (setq load-path (cons "~/auctex-11.86/preview/" load-path))
>>
>> > (load "~/auctex-11.86/auctex.el" nil t t)
>> > (load "~/auctex-11.86/preview/preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>> > ==
>>
>> It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
>> `load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
>> is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
>> install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.
> I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
> added these directories because I thought they were necessary.

That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
instructions?

> Actually, I think that AUCTeX is redefining some commands and
> shortcuts that are also used in Gnus. How could I modify the AUCTeX's
> shortcuts?

I don't think that is the case. You could try

M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
files.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-18 19:50       ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-18 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 18, 8:54 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> Merciadri Luca <merciadril...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> It should not be necessary to add the `preview' subdirectory to
> >> `load-path' if you installed AUCTeX correctly.  Since preview-latex.el
> >> is still in the `preview' subdirectory, I presume you did not run `make
> >> install' as described in the installation instructions of AUCTeX.
> > I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
> > added these directories because I thought they were necessary.
>
> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
> instructions?
I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
README! I found them weird, but executed!

But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
where it had never happened before.

> > Actually, I think that AUCTeX is redefining some commands and
> > shortcuts that are also used in Gnus. How could I modify the AUCTeX's
> > shortcuts?
>
> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>
> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>
> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
> files.
Here is the output:
==
/usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word

4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
==
'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-19  6:59         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-04-19  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 18, 8:54 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca <merciadril...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I did what was necessary: ./configure, make, make install. I just
>> > added these directories because I thought they were necessary.
>>
>> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
>> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
>> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
>> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
>> instructions?
> I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
> README! I found them weird, but executed!

Any idea where you found that?

> But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
> where it had never happened before.

I doubt it is related to AUCTeX.

>> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>>
>> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>>
>> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
>> files.
> Here is the output:
> ==
> /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
> site-lisp/debian-startup
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
> emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word
>
> 4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
> ==
> 'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?

That's a Debian installation.  They are messed up by default.  You might
want to check the difference in those shadowings and try guessing
whether they could have an influence.

However, they are not related to AUCTeX installations.  If AUCTeX made
any changes, they are likely to site-init.el or site-start.el in some
place.  But I'd be surprised.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-19  8:31           ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-19  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <merciadriluca@gmail.com> writes:

>>> That sounds like you added the compilation directories of AUCTeX to the
>>> load path, a really bad idea.  And that you manually loaded the AUCTeX
>>> files from the uninstalled files in the compilation directories.  Also a
>>> really bad idea.  Is there a reason you don't follow the installation
>>> instructions?
>> I do not remember, but I think that these info were put somewhere in a
>> README! I found them weird, but executed!
>
> Any idea where you found that?
No. Don't remember precisely, but it was in the AUCTeX tarball!

>> But, anyway, even without these lines, the Gnus problem still arises,
>> where it had never happened before.
>
> I doubt it is related to AUCTeX.
Same for me, but what could it be linked to, if this is not AUCTeX? Everything was pretty fine, and now, sending won't work anymore. It looks like C-c C-c is bound to another action, as there is no reason for Gnus to `search for #.'

>>> I don't think that is the case. You could try
>>>
>>> M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>>>
>>> in order to see whether you borked your installation with duplicate
>>> files.
>> Here is the output:
>> ==
>> /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/
>> site-lisp/debian-startup
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/
>> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/ispell
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/
>> share/emacs/22.2/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
>> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/
>> emacs/22.2/lisp/language/thai-word
>>
>> 4 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowings were found
>> ==
>> 'Seems not to have messed anything, doesn't it?
>
> That's a Debian installation.  They are messed up by default.  You might
> want to check the difference in those shadowings and try guessing
> whether they could have an influence.
But these lines were the same before the installation of AUCTeX... Strange!

> However, they are not related to AUCTeX installations.
Ok. Nice for me, in some sense.
>  If AUCTeX made
> any changes, they are likely to site-init.el or site-start.el in some
> place.  But I'd be surprised.

- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

* Re: Since AUCTeX installation, Gnus won't post on any Usenet group
@ 2010-04-19  8:33           ` Merciadri Luca
From: Merciadri Luca @ 2010-04-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs