all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + etags
@ 2011-04-07  7:41 rkv
From: rkv @ 2011-04-07  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi all,

I having large project , divided in to number of opensources and libraries
each having a TAG file.

If i change from one directory to another one , and search for any specific
tag in the file related to the current directory

i get message as No Tags Containing <the speficic tag>

I would like to know how to make the change of the current using TAG file.

regards
rama kanth

* Re: emacs + etags
       [not found] <mailman.8.1302184708.3726.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-04-07 14:32 ` hjuvi
From: hjuvi @ 2011-04-07 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

You should set tags-file-name variable.
Alternatively, I think you can also use tags-table-list - a list of
all tags files -  but I have never tried... I suppose it will search
in all tags files.

@ 2011-04-08 12:46 ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2011-04-08 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 7, 2:41 am, rkv <ramakanth.var...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I having large project , divided in to number of opensources and libraries
> each having a TAG file.
>
> If i change from one directory to another one , and search for any specific
> tag in the file related to the current directory
>
> i get message as No Tags Containing <the speficic tag>
>
> I would like to know how to make the change of the current using TAG file.
>
> regards
> rama kanth
>
> --

It may be of little use to you, but XEmacs provides a tags mechanism
which achieves what you describe.

* Re: emacs + etags
@ 2011-04-08 13:30 ` Guilherme Gondim
From: Guilherme Gondim @ 2011-04-08 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rkv <ramakanth.varala@gmail.com> writes:

> I having large project , divided in to number of opensources and libraries
> each having a TAG file.
>
> If i change from one directory to another one , and search for any specific
> tag in the file related to the current directory
>
> i get message as No Tags Containing <the speficic tag>
>
> I would like to know how to make the change of the current using TAG
> file.

Try out my `ctags.el'[1] module.

Configuration example:

  (setq tags-revert-without-query t)
  (global-set-key (kbd "<f5>") 'ctags-create-or-update-tags-table)

Then just press <f5> to update or create your TAGS file. That function
look for a file TAGS in the current and its parent directories, if a TAG
file is not found it ask you where create a new one.

It is a new library and probably has bugs, etc, so any help is welcome.

Cheers,
semente

[1] https://bitbucket.org/semente/ctags.el/

--
Guilherme Gondim (semente)

* Re: emacs + etags
@ 2011-04-08 13:52   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-04-08 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alan <wehmann@fnal.gov> writes:

> On Apr 7, 2:41 am, rkv <ramakanth.var...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> I having large project , divided in to number of opensources and libraries
>> each having a TAG file.
>>
>> If i change from one directory to another one , and search for any specific
>> tag in the file related to the current directory
>>
>> i get message as No Tags Containing <the speficic tag>
>>
>> I would like to know how to make the change of the current using TAG file.
>>
>> regards
>> rama kanth
>>
>> --
>
> It may be of little use to you, but XEmacs provides a tags mechanism
> which achieves what you describe.

Changing to XEmacs for a feature seems a little extreme. Especially with
the somewhat ropey spec above.

The EMacs Wiki lists ways of changing the tags files  used based on the
project directory of the opened file.

etags-table I think.

@ 2011-04-12 14:28 ` Uday Reddy
From: Uday Reddy @ 2011-04-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 4/7/2011 8:41 AM, rkv wrote:

> I would like to know how to make the change of the current using TAG file.

I am not exactly sure what you are looking for, but note that Emacs
allows you to have several tags files loaded and to select some subset
of them for active use at any given time.  The info manual has all the
details.

Cheers,
Uday Reddy