all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [rcirc] Some issues on log and auto-join channels of oftc
@ 2011-08-27  8:00 Yue Wu
From: Yue Wu @ 2011-08-27  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi group,

Sorry for my poor English if I can't describe myself clearly, and if I
did, please let me know, thanks!

Issue 1:

Log feature deson't work at all, I have these settings in ~/.emacs

(setq rcirc-log-flag t)
(setq rcirc-log-directory "~/.emacs.d/log")
(setq rcirc-log-process-buffers t)

Issue 2:

rcirc-server-alist doesn't work well when rcirc-authinfo has been
specified for oftc irc server.

I have settings:

(setq rcirc-server-alist '(("irc.freenode.net" :channels ("#rcirc"
"#emacs" "#vim" "#bsdchat"))
                            ("irc.oftc.net" :channels ("#emacs-cn"
"#arch-cn" "#suckless" "#vim-cn" "#tex-cn"))
                            ))

(setq rcirc-authinfo '(("freenode" nickserv "user" "password")
                        ("oftc" nickserv "uesr" "password"))

With these setting, the channels I've specified will not aoto-join when
connect to oftc, but if I removed "oftc" in rcirc-authinfo, then it will
work fine. freenode server works fine in both cases.

My emacs version is: GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of
2011-08-23 on 3249CTO. I have find the issues since emacs version 23
though.

--
Regards,
Yue Wu

Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
China Pharmaceutical University(中國藥科大學)
No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China

* Re: [rcirc] Some issues on log and auto-join channels of oftc
@ 2011-08-27  8:25 ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2011-08-27  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yue Wu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-08-27 10:00, Yue Wu wrote:
 > Hi group,
 >
 > Sorry for my poor English if I can't describe myself clearly, and if I
 > did, please let me know, thanks!

That's alright, you described the issues very clearly!

 > Issue 1:
 >
 > Log feature deson't work at all, I have these settings in ~/.emacs
 >
 > (setq rcirc-log-flag t)
 > (setq rcirc-log-directory "~/.emacs.d/log")
 > (setq rcirc-log-process-buffers t)

That is strange.  I don't know why that would happen, to be honest.
I'll have to look into it further.

 > Issue 2:
 >
 > rcirc-server-alist doesn't work well when rcirc-authinfo has been
 > specified for oftc irc server.
 >
 > I have settings:
 >
 > (setq rcirc-server-alist '(("irc.freenode.net" :channels ("#rcirc"
 > "#emacs" "#vim" "#bsdchat"))
 > ("irc.oftc.net" :channels ("#emacs-cn" "#arch-cn" "#suckless" "#vim-cn"
 > "#tex-cn"))
 > ))
 >
 > (setq rcirc-authinfo '(("freenode" nickserv "user" "password")
 > ("oftc" nickserv "uesr" "password"))
 >
 > With these setting, the channels I've specified will not aoto-join when
 > connect to oftc, but if I removed "oftc" in rcirc-authinfo, then it will
 > work fine. freenode server works fine in both cases.

This is because of two things:

1. On oftc, Nickserv says "You are successfully identified as
<nickname>.", but on Freenode it says "You are now identified for
<nickname>."  We currently don't support the oftc version, but I have
fixed it and will soon push it to trunk.  Thanks.

2. Since a while back, early March, rcirc uses
rcirc-authenticate-before-join, which waits until you authenticate using
e.g. NickServ before joining any channels.  This is turned on by
default, but since the oftc message was not supported, it would never
understand that the user had successfully authenticated.  You can either
turn off this option or wait for me to push the above fix to trunk.

@ 2011-08-27  9:24   ` Yue Wu
From: Yue Wu @ 2011-08-27  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for quick reply!

Deniz Dogan (2011-08-27 10:25 +0200) wrote:

> On 2011-08-27 10:00, Yue Wu wrote:
>> Hi group,
>>
>> Sorry for my poor English if I can't describe myself clearly, and if I
>> did, please let me know, thanks!
>>

> That's alright, you described the issues very clearly!
>
>> Issue 1:
>>
>> Log feature deson't work at all, I have these settings in ~/.emacs
>>
>> (setq rcirc-log-flag t)
>> (setq rcirc-log-directory "~/.emacs.d/log")
>> (setq rcirc-log-process-buffers t)
>>

> That is strange.  I don't know why that would happen, to be
> honest. I'll have to look into it further.
>
>> Issue 2:
>>
>> rcirc-server-alist doesn't work well when rcirc-authinfo has been
>> specified for oftc irc server.
>>
>> I have settings:
>>
>> (setq rcirc-server-alist '(("irc.freenode.net" :channels ("#rcirc"
>> "#emacs" "#vim" "#bsdchat"))
>> ("irc.oftc.net" :channels ("#emacs-cn" "#arch-cn" "#suckless" "#vim-cn"
>> "#tex-cn"))
>> ))
>>
>> (setq rcirc-authinfo '(("freenode" nickserv "user" "password")
>> ("oftc" nickserv "uesr" "password"))
>>
>> With these setting, the channels I've specified will not aoto-join when
>> connect to oftc, but if I removed "oftc" in rcirc-authinfo, then it will
>> work fine. freenode server works fine in both cases.
>>

> This is because of two things:
>
> 1. On oftc, Nickserv says "You are successfully identified as
> <nickname>.", but on Freenode it says "You are now identified for
> <nickname>."  We currently don't support the oftc version, but I have
> fixed it and will soon push it to trunk.  Thanks.
>
> 2. Since a while back, early March, rcirc uses
> rcirc-authenticate-before-join, which waits until you authenticate
> using e.g. NickServ before joining any channels.  This is turned on by
> default, but since the oftc message was not supported, it would never
> understand that the user had successfully authenticated.  You can
> either turn off this option or wait for me to push the above fix to
> trunk.

Thanks for so detailed explanation, I turn the option to nil and now it
works fine, thank you and hope to see your patch in the trunk!