all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-11-28 10:59 Steven Har
From: Steven Har @ 2011-11-28 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm using breadcrumb.el, and from time to time when exiting Emacs there's a
few seconds delay with the status area showing "Wrote
~/.emacs.d/breadcrumb" (but there's no breadcrumb file being saved). I
wonder what Emacs is trying to do here. This only happens around 25% of the
time.

Yes, I know I shouldn't fire up and exit Emacs too often, but old habits
die hard (especially since I use mc as my main file manager instead of
Emacs' builtin one).

Regards,

* Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-11-29 18:14 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-29 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Har <stevenhar007@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Steven,

> I'm using breadcrumb.el, and from time to time when exiting Emacs
> there's a few seconds delay with the status area showing "Wrote
> ~/.emacs.d/breadcrumb"

The "wrote" (past tense) suggests that the culprit is something that
happens after the breadcrumb has finished, but that's only a vague
guess.

Before you exit emacs, do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET.  Then exit emacs
(C-x C-c), and when you are in the seems-to-hang state, hit C-g.  That
will pop up a buffer showing a lisp backtrace that you can poste here
and hopefully helps us finding the culprit.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-14  2:07   ` Steven Har
From: Steven Har @ 2011-12-14  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>wrote:

> Steven Har <stevenhar007@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Steven,
>
> > I'm using breadcrumb.el, and from time to time when exiting Emacs
> > there's a few seconds delay with the status area showing "Wrote
> > ~/.emacs.d/breadcrumb"
>
> The "wrote" (past tense) suggests that the culprit is something that
> happens after the breadcrumb has finished, but that's only a vague
> guess.
>
> Before you exit emacs, do M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET.  Then exit emacs
> (C-x C-c), and when you are in the seems-to-hang state, hit C-g.  That
> will pop up a buffer showing a lisp backtrace that you can poste here
> and hopefully helps us finding the culprit.
>
> Ok I managed to do that just now, here's the debugger output (I guess not
much more info? But I'm still very clueless when it comes to Emacs Lisp):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
save-place-alist-to-file()
save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
run-hooks(kill-emacs-hook)
kill-emacs()
save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

I'll try strace and report on any progress later.

* RE: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-14  4:15     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-12-14  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steven Har', 'Tassilo Horn'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
> save-place-forget-unreadable-files()
> save-place-alist-to-file()
> save-place-kill-emacs-hook()
> run-hooks(kill-emacs-hook)
> kill-emacs()
> save-buffers-kill-emacs(nil)
> save-buffers-kill-terminal(nil)
> call-interactively(save-buffers-kill-terminal nil nil)

I know nothing about `saveplace.el', but looking around a little it appears that
that is the library involved here.  Take a look at it.   Look at the values of
your `save-place-*' user options (e.g., `save-place-limit').  Look at what's in
your file `save-place-file' (by default, `~/.emacs-places').

If you have lots of places recorded (for lots of files), or lots of files that
need to be checked for readability (see `save-place-skip-check-regexp'), then
that could explain why Emacs takes a while to quit.

This is what `save-place-forget-unreadable-files' does, according to its doc
string:

  Remove unreadable files from `save-place-alist'.
  For each entry in the alist, if `file-readable-p' returns
  nil for the filename, remove the entry.  Save the new alist
  (as the first pair may have changed) back to `save-place-alist'.

(`save-place-alist' is the list of places to save to `save-place-file'.)

* RE: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-14  4:26       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-12-14  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Steven Har', 'Tassilo Horn'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I know nothing about `saveplace.el', but looking around a
> little it appears that that is the library involved here.

FWIW - Googling a bit shows that (a) `save-place.el' has been part of GNU Emacs
since at least version 19, and (b) back in Emacs 21 it was even documented in
the Emacs manual, but that mention was removed in Emacs 22.  I find no mention
of it in the Emacs NEWS (past or current).

Here is a link to an old manual node that mentions it:
http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_465.html

* Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-14 11:36         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-12-14 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> I know nothing about `saveplace.el', but looking around a
>> little it appears that that is the library involved here.
>
> FWIW - Googling a bit shows that (a) `save-place.el' has been part of
> GNU Emacs since at least version 19, and (b) back in Emacs 21 it was
> even documented in the Emacs manual, but that mention was removed in
> Emacs 22.  I find no mention of it in the Emacs NEWS (past or
> current).

It's still in emacs 24, but its file name changed to saveplace.el.  But
strange, that is has been removed from the info docs'

  (info "(emacs)Saving Emacs Sessions")

section...

> Here is a link to an old manual node that mentions it:
> http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_465.html

Yes, instead of using that toggle function, I have

  (require 'saveplace)
  (setq-default save-place t)

in my ~/.emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo

* RE: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-14 13:55           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2011-12-14 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tassilo Horn'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> >> I know nothing about `saveplace.el', but looking around a
> >> little it appears that that is the library involved here.
> >
> > FWIW - Googling a bit shows that (a) `save-place.el' has

I meant `saveplace.el'

> > been part of GNU Emacs since at least version 19, and
> > (b) back in Emacs 21 it was even documented in the Emacs
> > manual, but that mention was removed in Emacs 22.  I find
> > no mention of it in the Emacs NEWS (past or current).
>
> It's still in emacs 24, but its file name changed to
> saveplace.el.

Actually, I think the name was always `saveplace.el'.  I misspoke, above.

@ 2011-12-14 14:06             ` Steven Har
From: Steven Har @ 2011-12-14 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > FWIW - Googling a bit shows that (a) `save-place.el' has
>
> I meant `saveplace.el'
>
> > > been part of GNU Emacs since at least version 19, and
> > > (b) back in Emacs 21 it was even documented in the Emacs
> > > manual, but that mention was removed in Emacs 22.  I find
> > > no mention of it in the Emacs NEWS (past or current).
> >
> > It's still in emacs 24, but its file name changed to
> > saveplace.el.
>
> Actually, I think the name was always `saveplace.el'.  I misspoke, above.
>
> > But strange, that is has been removed from
> > the info docs' (info "(emacs)Saving Emacs Sessions")
> > section...
> >
> > > Here is a link to an old manual node that mentions it:
> > > http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/emacs/emacs_465.html
> >
> > Yes, instead of using that toggle function, I have
> >   (require 'saveplace)
> >   (setq-default save-place t)
> > in my ~/.emacs.

Indeed, I remove those two lines from the system's startup file
(/usr/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/site-start.el on mine) and now the delays are
gone.

Thanks, all!

* Re: Several seconds of delay when exiting Emacs
@ 2011-12-17  7:40               ` Le Wang
From: Le Wang @ 2011-12-17  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Har; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs