all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* read-passwd: no longer as secure?
@ 2012-04-22 15:53 T.V. Raman
From: T.V. Raman @ 2012-04-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Spotted this because after a recent git update, I started hearing
passwords as I typed in Emacspeak.

The move to reimplementing read-passwd using read-string appears
to no longer set  echo-keystrokes -- but is relying on setting
the display property of the char that is displayed to ?. ---
though this hides on  the display it is still available to most
lisp code.

I can update emacspeak so it doesn't speak the chars --- but I
still feel somewhat uneasy about the read-passwd implementation
---

* Re: read-passwd: no longer as secure?
@ 2012-04-24  0:53 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-04-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V. Raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> though this hides on the display it is still available to most
> lisp code.

As it was in the previous implementation (in the `pass' variable).
Hiding information is pretty contrary to the design of Emacs and Elisp.

> I can update emacspeak so it doesn't speak the chars --- but I
> still feel somewhat uneasy about the read-passwd implementation

The new implementation is a lot more flexible, so going back is not on
the agenda.  But if it can be changed to cooperate better with tools
like Emacsspeak, I'd be happy to do so.

* read-passwd: no longer as secure?
@ 2012-04-24  3:00   ` T.V. Raman
From: T.V. Raman @ 2012-04-24  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

I've fixed emacspeakkk  so it doesn't echo the passwd as the user
types -- though it is still possible to hear the password if
the  user wishes    -- so I guess it alligns with the rest of
Emacs;-)  A aaagree with you that hiding information  in the
elisp world -- and  I wasn't necessssarily asking toooo go back
to the old version; however, when  I saw the change, I justt felt unnneasy.
--
Best Regards,
--raman

--
Best Regards,
--raman

@ 2012-04-24 12:26   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-04-24 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:53:04 -0400 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> though this hides on the display it is still available to most
>> lisp code.

SM> As it was in the previous implementation (in the `pass' variable).
SM> Hiding information is pretty contrary to the design of Emacs and Elisp.

I've mentioned before that it would be useful to have a way to hide
passwords and other secret data.

Currently the best way to do it in ELisp is with a lexical-let closure
that decrypts when you invoke it, AFAIK.  At least the data is not in
the open.  But it would be nice to have a way to securely reserve and
then wipe a string, or perhaps a pass-through method that decrypts
straight into the process rather than into a string.  I'd use it in
auth-source.el, for instance.

Ted