all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* locale -> coding system
@ 2013-10-26  5:33 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2013-10-26  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On my debian desktop running xfce, emacs by default goes into unicode mode
On my recentest ubuntu running unity, emacs shows a '1' instead of a 'U' and messes up non-ASCII characters unless I manually make it unicode by some means or other, like
;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
or just setting it or whatever

1. How do I make emacs choose unicode in all cases?
2. There is some misconfiguration outside of emacs... where to look?

* Re: locale -> coding system
@ 2013-10-26  6:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-10-26  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:33:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com>
>
> On my debian desktop running xfce, emacs by default goes into unicode mode
> On my recentest ubuntu running unity, emacs shows a '1' instead of a 'U' and messes up non-ASCII characters unless I manually make it unicode by some means or other, like
> ;; -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> or just setting it or whatever
>
> 1. How do I make emacs choose unicode in all cases?

 (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

> 2. There is some misconfiguration outside of emacs... where to look?

 $ env | fgrep -e LC -e LANG

* Re: locale -> coding system
@ 2013-10-26  8:28   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-10-26  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)