all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-08  2:06 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-04-08  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hi Everyone,

I'm putting together a reading list file for SICP and I'm linking
directly to the HTML version of the book.

Many of the links include target data with them (i.e.
`link#some-target`) and when I call `org-open-at-point` it corrupts
the link by incorrectly converting `#` to `%23`.

How can I get this to behave properly?

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-08  7:51 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-08  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm putting together a reading list file for SICP and I'm linking
> directly to the HTML version of the book.
>
> Many of the links include target data with them (i.e.
> `link#some-target`) and when I call `org-open-at-point` it corrupts
> the link by incorrectly converting `#` to `%23`.
>
> How can I get this to behave properly?

I just switched to outorg and used C-c C-l to insert this link with
Org-mode:

[[http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%25_sec_1.1.5][SICP-LINK]]

which looks like this when copied from w3m:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_sec_1.1.5
`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

but the Org link, besided being modified, works with org-open-at-point
or w3m-browse-url for me, so it does not really seem to be corrupted?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-08 12:53   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-04-08 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm putting together a reading list file for SICP and I'm linking
>> directly to the HTML version of the book.
>>
>> Many of the links include target data with them (i.e.
>> `link#some-target`) and when I call `org-open-at-point` it corrupts
>> the link by incorrectly converting `#` to `%23`.
>>
>> How can I get this to behave properly?
>
> I just switched to outorg and used C-c C-l to insert this link with
> Org-mode:
>
> [[http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%25_sec_1.1.5][SICP-LINK]]
>
> which looks like this when copied from w3m:
>
> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_sec_1.1.5
> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> but the Org link, besided being modified, works with org-open-at-point
> or w3m-browse-url for me, so it does not really seem to be corrupted?

What do you mean, 'besides being modified'?

I'm on `GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0)`. Any chance
you're on a more recent version and this is a bug that was fixed? I
just confirmed that if I drop into fundamental mode and directly use
browse-url-at-point, the behavior still happens.

I'm using Chrome as my browser.

--

@ 2014-04-08 13:11     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-08 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I'm putting together a reading list file for SICP and I'm linking
>>> directly to the HTML version of the book.
>>>
>>> Many of the links include target data with them (i.e.
>>> `link#some-target`) and when I call `org-open-at-point` it corrupts
>>> the link by incorrectly converting `#` to `%23`.
>>>
>>> How can I get this to behave properly?
>>
>> I just switched to outorg and used C-c C-l to insert this link with
>> Org-mode:
>>
>> [[http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%25_sec_1.1.5][SICP-LINK]]
>>
>> which looks like this when copied from w3m:
>>
>> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> |
>> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_sec_1.1.5
>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> but the Org link, besided being modified, works with org-open-at-point
>> or w3m-browse-url for me, so it does not really seem to be corrupted?
>
> What do you mean, 'besides being modified'?

I mean that the link inserted by Org is not exactly the same as the url
you get from emacs-w3m, as you can see in the examples given above.

> I'm on `GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0)`. Any chance
> you're on a more recent version and this is a bug that was fixed? I
> just confirmed that if I drop into fundamental mode and directly use
> browse-url-at-point, the behavior still happens.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(call-interactively 'org-version)
#+end_src

#+results:
: Org-mode version 8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-883-ga36dde @ /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/lisp/)

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(emacs-version)
#+end_src

#+results:
: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
:  of 2014-01-28 on var-lib-archbuild-extra-x86_64-juergen

so we have the same version.

> I'm using Chrome as my browser.

I use (emacs-)w3m.

Maybe somebody else can try the link above produced by Org-mode?

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-08 13:41       ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-04-08 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I just switched to outorg and used C-c C-l to insert this link with
>>> Org-mode:
>>>
>>> [[http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%25_sec_1.1.5][SICP-LINK]]
>>>
>>> which looks like this when copied from w3m:
>>>
>>> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> |
>>> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book-Z-H-10.html#%_sec_1.1.5
>>> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> but the Org link, besided being modified, works with org-open-at-point
>>> or w3m-browse-url for me, so it does not really seem to be corrupted?
>>
>> What do you mean, 'besides being modified'?
>
> I mean that the link inserted by Org is not exactly the same as the url
> you get from emacs-w3m, as you can see in the examples given above.

Ah! I hadn't spotted the `%` → `%25` the first time. Yes, this would
actually be fine, and I think even expected as % is not a legal
character on its own in a URL (maybe?) given that it's used for escape
sequences. In fact, it works for Chrome. The problem is that `#` is a
special character with special meaning and for org/emacs to url-encode
it is a mistake.

>> I'm on `GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0)`. Any chance
>> you're on a more recent version and this is a bug that was fixed? I
>> just confirmed that if I drop into fundamental mode and directly use
>> browse-url-at-point, the behavior still happens.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (call-interactively 'org-version)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : Org-mode version 8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-883-ga36dde @ /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/lisp/)

Ah. I'm on an older org version:

`Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/share/e\
macs/24.3/lisp/org/)`.

Perhaps that explains it.

--

       [not found] <mailman.19188.1396922831.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-08 14:11 ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-04-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:36:27 AM UTC+5:30, Tim Visher wrote:
> Hi Everyone,

> I'm putting together a reading list file for SICP and I'm linking
> directly to the HTML version of the book.

> Many of the links include target data with them (i.e.
> `link#some-target`) and when I call `org-open-at-point` it corrupts
> the link by incorrectly converting `#` to `%23`.

> How can I get this to behave properly?

> Thanks in advance!

Probably nothing to do with your problem...
However it reminded me of a similar (looking) problem I had recently
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2013-10/msg00008.html

* Re: `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-08 14:16         ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-08 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> Ah. I'm on an older org version:
>
> `Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
> /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/share/e\
> macs/24.3/lisp/org/)`.

Uhh, you did not update to Org 8 yet?
That would explain an endless number of problems ...

Org 8+ is a must, really, it has the new parser and exporter and thus
groundbreaking changes.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: `#` in org mode links doesn't open correctly?
@ 2014-04-14 17:33           ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-04-14 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ah. I'm on an older org version:
>>
>> `Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
>> /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/share/e\
>> macs/24.3/lisp/org/)`.
>
> Uhh, you did not update to Org 8 yet?
> That would explain an endless number of problems ...
>
> Org 8+ is a must, really, it has the new parser and exporter and thus
> groundbreaking changes.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(call-interactively 'org-version)
#+end_src

#+results:
: Org-mode version 8.2.5h (8.2.5h-98-g0820d0-elpa @
/Users/tim/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140407/)

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(emacs-version)
#+end_src

#+results:
: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0)
:  of 2013-10-27 on ts-macbook-air

I'm still getting this problematic behavior. Any further clues here?
The `#` character is still translated to `%23`.

--

@ 2014-04-15  9:08             ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-04-15  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Ah. I'm on an older org version:
>>>
>>> `Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @
>>> /usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.3/share/e\
>>> macs/24.3/lisp/org/)`.
>>
>> Uhh, you did not update to Org 8 yet?
>> That would explain an endless number of problems ...
>>
>> Org 8+ is a must, really, it has the new parser and exporter and thus
>> groundbreaking changes.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (call-interactively 'org-version)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : Org-mode version 8.2.5h (8.2.5h-98-g0820d0-elpa @
> /Users/tim/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140407/)
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> (emacs-version)
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0)
> :  of 2013-10-27 on ts-macbook-air
>
> I'm still getting this problematic behavior. Any further clues here?
> The `#` character is still translated to `%23`.

Maybe you should try the Org-mode mailing list too if you get no further
clues here.

--
cheers,
Thorsten