On 2014-10-16 Thu 08:34, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Titus von der Malsburg >> Cc: rudalics@gmx.at, 18722@debbugs.gnu.org >> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:10:37 -0700 >> >> I can enter text and save the buffer before clicking menu items. When I >> inspect the content of the file with another editor, I see that it >> contains the text that I entered before saving. > > Do you see the changes in the file before or after you click on the > Emacs frame? If before, then indeed it sounds like Emacs is reacting > to your inputs, but the display is not refreshed. Of course I checked the file before clicking on a menu items, otherwise the test would not be informative. > But a situation where Emacs acts on your input, but does not update > the display is inconceivable, unless some external factor is at work. > That's because the same loop where Emacs reads input also calls > redisplay, and since saving a buffer displays a message in the echo > area, calling redisplay must have updated at least the echo area. I > cannot understand how could Emacs save a buffer, but not display the > echo area message that is part of saving that buffer. I don't know enough about the inner workings of Emacs to say anything useful about this but one possibility might be that there is a bug in GTK that is triggered by recent versions of Emacs but not by earlier versions. >> Given on how rarely I update to the latest development version of Emacs, >> I can't say anything more precise than that the problem was introduced >> during this summer. I know, not very helpful. > > Do you still have the previous binary you built? Can you run it now > and make sure the problem does not exist in that binary? Unfortunately, I don't have this binary anymore. >> What do you mean with bisect? Checkout earlier versions and test them >> until I find the bad commit? Given the high volume of commits in Emacs >> this would take quite a while even when using an efficient >> search strategy. > > Both bzr and git have a bisect command that will converge on the > offending revision logarithmically. Since there were about 1000 > commits since the beginning of the summer, you will need about 10 > different builds. Ok, I'll see what I can do. Titus