all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* doc-view functions inside with-current-buffer do not work
@ 2014-11-03 16:16 Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-11-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

Consider the following steps:

- Define this function:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun my-doc-view-goto-page (n)
    (with-current-buffer (get-buffer "test.pdf")
      (doc-view-goto-page n)))
#+END_SRC

- C-x C-f test.pdf RET

- Evaluating the following snippet:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (my-doc-view-goto-page 2)
#+END_SRC

For me the buffer containing the test.pdf is still displaying the first
page of test.pdf. I expected it to show the second. Is this a bug?

Note: I waited for doc-view-mode to convert the whole pdf to png
images. At least the mode line displays "1/22" and does not change
anymore.

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: doc-view functions inside with-current-buffer do not work
@ 2014-11-03 16:57 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-11-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alexander Baier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Consider the following steps:

> - Define this function:
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (defun my-doc-view-goto-page (n)
>     (with-current-buffer (get-buffer "test.pdf")
>       (doc-view-goto-page n)))
> #+END_SRC

Just like point and goto-char, the page displayed by doc-view can be
different in different windows, so selecting the buffer is not enough
for doc-view-goto-page to know which window should be affected.

You need with-selected-window instead of with-current-buffer.

* Re: doc-view functions inside with-current-buffer do not work
@ 2014-11-03 17:28   ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-11-03 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On 2014-11-03 17:57 Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Consider the following steps:
>
>> - Define this function:
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>   (defun my-doc-view-goto-page (n)
>>     (with-current-buffer (get-buffer "test.pdf")
>>       (doc-view-goto-page n)))
>> #+END_SRC
>
> Just like point and goto-char, the page displayed by doc-view can be
> different in different windows, so selecting the buffer is not enough
> for doc-view-goto-page to know which window should be affected.
>
> You need with-selected-window instead of with-current-buffer.

This works like a charm, thank you!

Regards,
--
Alexander Baier