all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Location of .emacs in Windows 7
@ 2015-01-17  0:38 Steve Graham
From: Steve Graham @ 2015-01-17  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Using C-x C-f I can read in, edit and store .emacs in ~/.emacs .
However, when I search for the file, I cannot find it.

I was also trying to store an org file in ~/org-mode/work.org .  It
seemed sometimes that it would read those files from ~/org-mode/work.org
and write them to c:/Users/<User>/AppData/Roaming/org-mode/work.org .
And I could not find that file/path either.

I have taken to storing the org files in
C:/Users/<User>/Desktop/org-file/work.org .  It works but I would rather
use ~/org-mode for the directory.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Steve

* Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7
@ 2015-01-17  2:02 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-01-17  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Steve Graham <jsgrahamus@yahoo.com> writes:

> Using C-x C-f I can read in, edit and store .emacs in ~/.emacs .
> However, when I search for the file, I cannot find it.

There is a well-defined rule for what Emacs considers `home' (see the
"Windows HOME" node on the Emacs documentation.)

But if you just want a simple method for controlling what `~' means for
Emacs, just define a HOME environment variable (on the Control Panel)
containing the directory you wish to be `~' (said directory must exist
before running Emacs.) At startup, Emacs will read that environment
variable and interpret `~' as a shortcut to the directory it mentions.

OTOH, if you wish to know what `~' expands *now* to in Emacs, just visit
that directory with `C-x d ~ [ENTER]' and you will see on the top part
of the resulting buffer the complete path to `~', along with its
contents.

[snip]

* Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7
@ 2015-01-17  2:12 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-01-17  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-01-17, at 01:38, Steve Graham <jsgrahamus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Using C-x C-f I can read in, edit and store .emacs in ~/.emacs .
> However, when I search for the file, I cannot find it.

Try

C-h v user-init-file

or

M-: (find-file user-init-file)

> I was also trying to store an org file in ~/org-mode/work.org .  It
> seemed sometimes that it would read those files from ~/org-mode/work.org
> and write them to c:/Users/<User>/AppData/Roaming/org-mode/work.org .
> And I could not find that file/path either.

There is also the variable abbreviated-home-dir, but I'm not sure how it
works.

> I have taken to storing the org files in
> C:/Users/<User>/Desktop/org-file/work.org .  It works but I would rather
> use ~/org-mode for the directory.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks, Steve

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski               This email was proudly sent
http://mbork.pl                from my Emacs.

* Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7
@ 2015-01-18 16:33 ` Jordan Wilson
From: Jordan Wilson @ 2015-01-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There's a file in the Emacs distribution (it's
share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el in 24.4 from ftp.gnu.org, it might
be in a different place on other versions) that allows you to define HOME,
i.e. what `~' expands to. Mine's attached, obviously change as suits
you.

[-- Attachment #2: my site-start.el --]

Basically:
(setenv "HOME" "C:/Users/Username/WHATEVER/")
--
Thanks, Jordan
Sent from Gnus v5.13, Emacs 24.4.1

* Re: Location of .emacs in Windows 7
@ 2015-01-18 16:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-18 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jordan Wilson <inopem@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:33:16 +0000
>
> There's a file in the Emacs distribution (it's
> share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el in 24.4 from ftp.gnu.org, it might
> be in a different place on other versions) that allows you to define HOME,
> i.e. what `~' expands to.

IME, it's not a good idea to define HOME (or PATH or ...) inside Emacs
differently than it's defined outside, because it will cause subtle
problems, e.g. in programs not invoked from Emacs.  It is best to
define HOME in the environment outside Emacs, such that both Emacs and
the other programs use the same value.