all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Exception code: 0xc0000006 after waking computer from sleep
@ 2015-02-02 19:06 BobD
From: BobD @ 2015-02-02 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Has anyone else seen Emacs crash after awakening a sleeping Windows machine?

Using emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
Computer is an HP Pavilion P7-1370 desktop

Emacs executables are on an external USB3 disk, connected to the computer through a USB3 hub.
Microsoft Outlook files and Thunderbird files are on the same external disk.

When I wake the computer from sleep, after a few seconds or maybe a minute of use, Emacs crashes.
Outlook and Thunderbird forget where their files are.

As it awakens, the system sends the downbeat/upbeat tones to the speakers, acting as if it thinks the external disk has been unplugged and re-plugged.  Also, if I click on the tray icon for "Safely Remove hardware", I can see the external disk's entry, but with no device letter.  After a few seconds, the entry shows the device letter.

The system acts as if the sleeping computer virtually unplugs the external disk, and is slow to find it upon awakening.
And then Outlook and Thunderbird, after trying to use the disk too soon, decide the disk is gone.

Below is Event Viewer's report for the Emacs crash.

Faulting application name: emacs.exe, version: 24.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x51461ed8
Faulting module name: emacs.exe, version: 24.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x51461ed8
Exception code: 0xc0000006
Fault offset: 0x0004a758
Faulting process id: 0xce0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d03eefc7d872c2
Faulting application path: Q:\barn\Applications\emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
Faulting module path: Q:\barn\Applications\emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
Report Id: 74d9be80-ab0a-11e4-a804-24be05184e86

* Re: Exception code: 0xc0000006 after waking computer from sleep
@ 2015-02-02 19:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-02-02 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 11:06:09 -0800 (PST)
> From: BobD <daycandle@gmail.com>
>
> Using emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)  of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
> Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
> Computer is an HP Pavilion P7-1370 desktop
>
> Emacs executables are on an external USB3 disk, connected to the computer through a USB3 hub.
> Microsoft Outlook files and Thunderbird files are on the same external disk.

Exception 0xc0000006 is a page-in exception.  It means that Emacs
tried to access a page that was not present in RAM, and the system was
unable to load that page from the emacs.exe image on the USB disk.

This happens because the contents of the executable .exe file is read
into RAM on as-needed basis.  If, when your laptop awakens and Emacs
wakes up with it, the USB device driver is not yet up and running,
this is what will happen.  The fact that Outlook and Thunderbird lose
their files seems to confirm that this is what happens.

My advice to you would be to update the USB device drivers, and
perhaps replace the disk itself or the hub.

* Re: Exception code: 0xc0000006 after waking computer from sleep
@ 2015-02-03  0:26   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-02-03  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 11:06:09 -0800 (PST)
>> From: BobD <daycandle@gmail.com>
> My advice to you would be to update the USB device drivers, and
> perhaps replace the disk itself or the hub.

This is probably one of the large number of resume bugs in USB hardware.
Many USB devices have bugs in resuming from various low-power states.
The so-called "S3 resume" bugs are particularly common.  This is partly
because of inconsistency in the way PCs deal with it.  Some of them turn
off the 5V power supply to the USB devices (Vbus) while others leave it on.
Either choice is valid but some hardware makers only test with it on.

A different disk may fix it, or it may have a similar bug.

It may also be another device connected to USB which has the bug.  Quite
a few USB hubs lie to the USB controller.  They report themselves as being