all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?
@ 2015-02-23  1:27 Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-02-23  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

When I receive an email (using Gnus) with a PDF attachment, attempting to open it uses DocView despite my having PDF-Tools installed and working for all PDF opening I otherwise do. But search as I might, I can't find the variable or commmand that would allow me to change the program/function that is used for the PDF attachment. How can I change this setting to specify PDF-Tools for opening attached PDFs?

* Re: GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?
@ 2015-02-23  4:23 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2015-02-23  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> When I receive an email (using Gnus) with a PDF attachment, attempting
> to open it uses DocView despite my having PDF-Tools installed and

I use e to open attachments with external programs (with cursor being on
the attachment in the article buffer).

Michael.

* Re: GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?
@ 2015-02-23  4:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-02-23  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

torys.anderson@gmail.com (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> When I receive an email (using Gnus) with a PDF attachment, attempting
> to open it uses DocView despite my having PDF-Tools installed and
> working for all PDF opening I otherwise do. But search as I might, I
> can't find the variable or commmand that would allow me to change the
> program/function that is used for the PDF attachment. How can I change
> this setting to specify PDF-Tools for opening attached PDFs?

There's a thread on gnus.general about this -- lots of people are
having trouble getting Gnus to respect view-part-externally. I used to
only have trouble with PDFs, but I follow Gnus git, and now I have
trouble with most file formats. Lars identified weirdness in the
function `gnus-mime-view-part-externally', but no one's really tackled
it yet. I tried edebugging the function and following it a few times,
and it totally confused me.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/85646/

* Re: GNUs open PDF attachments: how to switch to PDF-Tools?
@ 2015-02-23  9:22   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-02-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tory and Michael,

>> When I receive an email (using Gnus) with a PDF attachment,
>> attempting to open it uses DocView despite my having PDF-Tools
>> installed and
>
> I use e to open attachments with external programs (with cursor being
> on the attachment in the article buffer).

PDF Tools (`pdf-view-mode') is no external program but a major mode for
viewing PDFs in Emacs similar (but much more advanced) than
`doc-view-mode'.

I've just added support for that in Gnus with this commit:

http://git.gnus.org/cgit/gnus.git/commit/?id=d2464e8d95ef0805ecbd7baded7467efd5d981a1

Bye,
Tassilo