all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + slime + ecl on Android?
@ 2015-03-06 11:14 jarausch
       [not found] ` <mailman.1539.1425679610.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: jarausch @ 2015-03-06 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have an ECL binary on my Android phone and I have seen there is Emacs in Google play. Is it possible to have SLIME as well on Android?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut

* Re: emacs + slime + ecl on Android?
@ 2015-03-06 21:59 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found] ` <mailman.1539.1425679610.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-03-06 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jarausch@skynet.be writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have an ECL binary on my Android phone and I have seen there is
> Emacs in Google play. Is it possible to have SLIME as well on Android?

Just install quicklisp and use it to install slime.
There shouldn't be any difficulty.

But do you have an Android phone (device/system version) able to run
that Emacs in Google play?  It cannot run either on Samsung S4 with
Android 4.3 nor on Samsung A5 with Android 4.4.

@ 2015-03-07 12:11   ` jarausch
From: jarausch @ 2015-03-07 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, 6 March 2015 23:06:54 UTC+1, Pascal J. Bourguignon  wrote:
> But do you have an Android phone (device/system version) able to run
> that Emacs in Google play?  It cannot run either on Samsung S4 with
> Android 4.3 nor on Samsung A5 with Android 4.4.

Unfortunately, you're right - I should have tested it earlier.
Here, too, emacs crashes on my rooted Galaxy S3 mini (running CARBON).

The only way to run Lisp at the moment is DroidEdit which can run a file through an external binary.
I have installed ecl from
https://github.com/YasuakiHonda/ECL-Precompiled-Binaries

DroidEdit shows the output of a running Lisp program but cannot take interactive input.
I'm still looking for an alternate possibility,

@ 2015-03-07 17:04     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1611.1425762700.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-07 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jarausch@skynet.be writes:

>> But do you have an Android phone (device/system
>> version) able to run that Emacs in Google play? It
>> cannot run either on Samsung S4 with Android 4.3
>> nor on Samsung A5 with Android 4.4.
>
> Unfortunately, you're right - I should have tested
> it earlier. Here, too, emacs crashes on my rooted
> Galaxy S3 mini (running CARBON).
>
> The only way to run Lisp at the moment is DroidEdit
> which can run a file through an external binary.
> [...] DroidEdit shows the output of a running Lisp
> program but cannot take interactive input.

Let's see, the supposed future of computing, and
reigning paleo-opium of the bio-masses, turns out, it
cannot even run Lisp!

Lisp, specified in 1958. Only Fortran (1956) is older
and still in use.

--
underground experts united

* Re: emacs + slime + ecl on Android?
@ 2015-03-07 21:03       ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1611.1425762700.31049.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-03-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> jarausch@skynet.be writes:
>
>>> But do you have an Android phone (device/system
>>> version) able to run that Emacs in Google play? It
>>> cannot run either on Samsung S4 with Android 4.3
>>> nor on Samsung A5 with Android 4.4.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you're right - I should have tested
>> it earlier. Here, too, emacs crashes on my rooted
>> Galaxy S3 mini (running CARBON).
>>
>> The only way to run Lisp at the moment is DroidEdit
>> which can run a file through an external binary.
>> [...] DroidEdit shows the output of a running Lisp
>> program but cannot take interactive input.
>
> Let's see, the supposed future of computing, and
> reigning paleo-opium of the bio-masses, turns out, it
> cannot even run Lisp!
>
> Lisp, specified in 1958. Only Fortran (1956) is older
> and still in use.

Yes, you can't believe how advanced lisp is.  It will still be used in a
hundred years, or in a thousand years.  Just like Pythagore's theorem.

@ 2015-03-07 21:28         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> Yes, you can't believe how advanced lisp is. It will
> still be used in a hundred years, or in a thousand
> years. Just like Pythagore's theorem.

Are you sure?

--

@ 2015-03-07 23:44           ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-03-07 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
> writes:
>
>> Yes, you can't believe how advanced lisp is. It will
>> still be used in a hundred years, or in a thousand
>> years. Just like Pythagore's theorem.
>
> Are you sure?

If history can teach us anything, is that lisp is still used, while more
recent fads are already eclipsed by even more recent fads.

* Re: emacs + slime + ecl on Android?
@ 2015-03-08  0:37               ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2015-03-08  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Are you sure?
>>
>> If history can teach us anything, is that lisp is
>> still used, while more recent fads are already
>> eclipsed by even more recent fads.
>
> Does history provide an answer as to how to get people
> to use Lisp - instead of even the most recent fads -
> as well?

Writing must-have applications with lisp as a scripting language seems
to work (cf. emacs, autocad).  In this case, mind using a full-fleshed
industrial-grade lisp, such as Common Lisp, to ensure perenity.

Another thing would be to provide interfaces to modern ie. modish
interfaces and frameworks.  This can often easily be provided with
libraries.

* Re: emacs + slime + ecl on Android?
@ 2015-03-08  0:38             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-03-08  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw