all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff highlight sub-line differences in non-current sections?
@ 2015-05-16 21:31 Ian Kelling
From: Ian Kelling @ 2015-05-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

By default, the non-current diff sections are just gray, but the current
ones has different highlight for the differences within a line.

It would be nice if all sections had the diff highlighting within lines.

I looked into this over a year ago, and it seemed it wasn't implemented.
I'm tempted to dive into the source, but I'm curious what anyone else
might know.

* Re: ediff highlight sub-line differences in non-current sections?
@ 2015-05-17  1:08 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-05-17  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Kelling; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I looked into this over a year ago, and it seemed it wasn't implemented.

Indeed, that's my impression as well.

> I'm tempted to dive into the source, but I'm curious what anyone else
> might know.

I haven't looked into it, but I think one important issue is
performance: refined diffs can take a non-negligible amount of time
to get.  The current code does it one section at a time, which makes it
quite bearable, but if you want to do it for all sections (not just the
current one), the total cost might become significant enough that we
should try to do it lazily/incrementally/asynchronously.