all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
       [not found] ` <E1ZTkTQ-0004vg-3n@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-08-24 15:34   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-08-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Paul Eggert

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

Hi Paul,

> branch: master
> commit fbb5531fa11d13854b274d28ccd329c9b6652cfc
> Author: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Commit: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>
>     More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
>
>     Instead of restyling curved quotes for every call to ‘format’,
>     create a new function ‘format-message’ that does the restyling,
>     and using the new function instead of ‘format’ only in contexts
>     where this seems appropriate.
>
>     * lisp/net/tramp.el (tramp-debug-message):

I've reverted this patch for tramp.el. The function `format-message'
exists for Emacs 25 only; everywhere else Tramp would be broken.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-24 19:18     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-08-24 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

>> Instead of restyling curved quotes for every call to ‘format’,
>> create a new function ‘format-message’ that does the restyling,

Yuck!

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-24 19:48       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2015-08-24 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier, Michael Albinus; +Cc: Paul Eggert, emacs-devel

On 08/24/2015 10:18 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Instead of restyling curved quotes for every call to ‘format’,
>>> create a new function ‘format-message’ that does the restyling,
>
> Yuck!

Why yuck? I'm not a fan of the whole project, but this change at least
improves on the previous version.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-25  1:08     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-08-25  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:
> I've reverted this patch for tramp.el. The function `format-message'
> exists for Emacs 25 only; everywhere else Tramp would be broken.

Sorry about that, and thanks for catching the bug.  I tried to make the change
again correctly this time, in master commit
7b5290da89e927ba01ac51e1eaaffd828503285f, by defining a compatibility
format-message function in tramp-compat.el, using the style of the existing
compatibility replacements.  This commit also adjusts the quoting style of Tramp
diagnostics to match text-quoting-style preference.  Please let me know and/or
revert it if this approach has further problems.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-25 14:12       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-08-25 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> Sorry about that, and thanks for catching the bug.  I tried to make
> the change again correctly this time, in master commit
> 7b5290da89e927ba01ac51e1eaaffd828503285f, by defining a compatibility
> format-message function in tramp-compat.el, using the style of the
> existing compatibility replacements.  This commit also adjusts the
> quoting style of Tramp diagnostics to match text-quoting-style
> preference.  Please let me know and/or revert it if this approach has
> further problems.

Thanks, I've applied your patch also to the Tramp repository. Let's
wait, whether people will complain.

Often, people with older Emacsen take only new Tramp *releases*. So
feedback will appear only once Tramp 2.2.13 has been released, which
will take some weeks. I have no concrete plan for a release deadline
yet.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-25 14:41         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2015-08-25 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Paul Eggert, Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

>> Yuck!
> Why yuck?

Having a special version of `format' that works 99% identically to the
other: that's pretty ugly.

> I'm not a fan of the whole project, but this change at least
> improves on the previous version.

My comment was only about format-message, not about whether
it's better/worse than what was there before.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-26  6:12         ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2015-08-26  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:
> Thanks, I've applied your patch also to the Tramp repository. Let's
> wait, whether people will complain.

In the meantime Dmitry came up with a better idea, which involves less-intrusive
changes to Tramp, so I installed that as Emacs master commit
b12cfbfda0141e7312bff4b466f35da4debc438d.  I hope this makes your life easier
than what I had done before.

* Re: master fbb5531: More-conservative ‘format’ quote restyling
@ 2015-08-26  8:37           ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-08-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> In the meantime Dmitry came up with a better idea, which involves
> less-intrusive changes to Tramp, so I installed that as Emacs master
> commit b12cfbfda0141e7312bff4b466f35da4debc438d.  I hope this makes
> your life easier than what I had done before.

Indeed, thanks! I've also fixed a small thinko in tramp-cache.el.

Best regards, Michael.