all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Thanks Re: Global keymap not found
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 22:18:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Albrecht Mehl <AlbrechtMehl.spamgrab@iesy.net> writes:

> Maybe people here think 'A beginner should be
> moderate and not ask for improvements' so that I get
> here a bad image.

Not everyone thinks so.

This people thinks a beginner should be as active as
possible with as much energy and commitment and
persistence as possible, because time + activity is
the best, perhaps only, way to learn.

The best activity is when the beginner tries to act
like an expert. If you act like an expert, that is
what you become, sooner most often rather than later.

But this works the other way as well. If a person acts
like a moron addicted to his/her iThing, that is what
you get and this doesn't even take time...

Also a note on beginners vs. experts. Emacs isn't like
bike mechanics or martial arts. It isn't a craft
like that. Or actually, it is more than a craft - it
is a window to creativity. One may focus on the craft,
the creativity, anything in between, or everything
at once. But an "Emacs expert" is somewhat
a contradiction in terms. Or at least it is much
better to be a Unix, Lisp, or C expert, with enough
Emacs knowledge to have Gnus and w3m up and running
and to tweak Emacs to work full cylinders for his
particular purposes.

> - Fundamental things should be available at once and
> not after hopping from one point to another to
> another ... - They should be available in the
> manual, too, not just in the info manual - The
> manual should have three appendices - there might be
> other candidates -

Acting like a beginner - general discussion..
Blaha blaha.

> 1. Alphabetical list of all global (prefix) keys 2.
> Alph. list of all global commands 3. List of all
> global commands grouped according to scope - The
> chapters in the manual are numerated within the
> text. So they should be in the table of context as
> well. People write 'Look at 49.1' e.g. and one
> wonders where this is.

Much better. Also be 100% specific and to the point:
e.g., "the fundamental thing F should be available at
point P..."

As you've noticed, this refers to the form only.
I'm not involved in this particular issue.

Good luck!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573