At 13:14 +0100 on Monday 2016-03-21, Nicolas Petton wrote: > My guess is that GNOME doesn't pick the correct icon from > ~/local/share/icons/hicolor/. Can you try installing the tarball in > /usr/local/? Yes. I have now done that with [effectively] this build script: ./autogen.sh ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ make sudo make install And that gives me nice sharp icons! (Screenshot attached.) So, does this mean that the problem was user error? (That is, if the user wants to install to an arbitrary tree, it is their responsibility to configure their system so that it can find not only the binary, but also other needed resources (i.e. the higher resolution icon).) Or does it mean that the make install target needs to be improved so that installation to an arbitrary tree works properly out of the box?