all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problems with a mailbox in Rmail format
@ 2017-08-25 13:12 Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2017-08-25 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have saved some messages from Gnus to a mailbox in Rmail
format. When I open the file in rmail-mode messages are not displayed
as expected: they are displayed in full, no headers are removed, MIME
parts are not handled, ... It seems to me problems come from the fact
mail headers in the mailbox are capitalized and rmail-mode search and
match operatinos are case dependant. I have set an advice around
(rmail-show-message-1) to set case-fold-search to t and problems
disapeared.

I am wondering if the problem can come from my configuration or if it
is an error in my version of Emacs (checked with Emacs 24.3.1 and
24.5.1.).

--
Pascal Quesseveur
pquessev@gmail.com

* Re: Problems with a mailbox in Rmail format
@ 2017-08-25 13:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-08-25 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:12:13 +0200
>
> I have saved some messages from Gnus to a mailbox in Rmail
> format. When I open the file in rmail-mode messages are not displayed
> as expected: they are displayed in full, no headers are removed, MIME
> parts are not handled, ... It seems to me problems come from the fact
> mail headers in the mailbox are capitalized and rmail-mode search and
> match operatinos are case dependant. I have set an advice around
> (rmail-show-message-1) to set case-fold-search to t and problems
> disapeared.
>
> I am wondering if the problem can come from my configuration or if it
> is an error in my version of Emacs (checked with Emacs 24.3.1 and
> 24.5.1.).

case-fold-search is t by default.  Did you change the default?

Which operation in rmail-show-message-1 depends on letter-case of the
headers?  In general, Rmail uses mail-fetch-field to get the headers,
and tha function explicitly binds case-fold-search to t.

* Re: Problems with a mailbox in Rmail format
@ 2017-08-25 14:40   ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2017-08-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> case-fold-search is t by default.  Did you change the default?

Yes. I forgot it was changed to t.

  EZ> Which operation in rmail-show-message-1 depends on letter-case
  EZ> of the headers?  In general, Rmail uses mail-fetch-field to get
  EZ> the headers, and tha function explicitly binds case-fold-search
  EZ> to t.

Yes, this is true for mail-fetch-field. But in my version
rmail-show-message-1 checks for mime by searching directly
"mime-version: 1.0". And I think headers set in rmail-ignored-headers
are also checked as they are.

--

@ 2017-08-25 14:45     ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2017-08-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Oups.

  > Yes. I forgot it was changed to t.
                                    nil.

--

@ 2017-08-25 15:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-08-25 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:40:03 +0200
>
> >"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   EZ> case-fold-search is t by default.  Did you change the default?
>
> Yes. I forgot it was changed to t.
>
>   EZ> Which operation in rmail-show-message-1 depends on letter-case
>   EZ> of the headers?  In general, Rmail uses mail-fetch-field to get
>   EZ> the headers, and tha function explicitly binds case-fold-search
>   EZ> to t.
>
> Yes, this is true for mail-fetch-field. But in my version
> rmail-show-message-1 checks for mime by searching directly
> "mime-version: 1.0". And I think headers set in rmail-ignored-headers
> are also checked as they are.

Please report this as a bug, preferably with a small mbox file that
can be used to reproduce this.

Thanks.

* Re: Problems with a mailbox in Rmail format
@ 2017-08-25 15:09       ` Pascal Quesseveur
From: Pascal Quesseveur @ 2017-08-25 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

  EZ> Please report this as a bug, preferably with a small mbox file
  EZ> that can be used to reproduce this.

OK. Thanks.

--
Pascal Quesseveur