Hi, I'm writing to ask about correct use of font-lock-multiline and font-lock-extend-* hooks, and possibly for a working example if possible. I was writing a mode for mailcap files and was struggling to write working elisp for handling multi-line constructs. In mailcap, comments begin with a # at BOL, and lines can be broken by a trailing \ in a non-comment line: application/foobar; baz; copiousoutput; \ # not a comment \ # a comment I discovered an existing mailcap-mode here: http://user42.tuxfamily.org/mailcap-mode/index.html which appears to take advantage of jit-lock-contextually. I also managed to figure out syntax-propertize to a degree, with the help of some blog examples. However, I'm not fond of jit-lock's delay (which is configurable, but defaults are defaults are defaults), so I tried to get the non-jit-lock option to work. The attached package somehow appears to be a working example of using font-lock-extend-region-functions. I'm puzzled because the function I've added to the hook always returns a truthy value AFAICT, and the documentation suggests the hook is run until all of its items return nil. What is the correct way to use font-lock-extend-foo hooks? Please Cc:, thanks.