all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ispell lost Ukrainian language after update
@ 2017-12-20 20:31 Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2017-12-20 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all,
After last update I cannot spell check Ukrainian texts anymore. And
there's no Ukrainian setup in ispell.el file.

GNU Emacs 25.3.1, Ispell 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.7-rc1)

There are only Ukrainian, English and Russian dictionaries installed in
my system. But ispell-change-dictionary lists a bunch of not installed
languages, including even Esperanto and there's no Ukrainian which in
fact is installed. Is this a bug or maybe there is some tricky manual
updating routine for Emacs which I had not followed? How can I make
Emacs use installed dictionaries and not lost it after update?

Thanks ahead.

* Re: Ispell lost Ukrainian language after update
@ 2017-12-20 20:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-12-20 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Melleus <melleus@openmailbox.org>
> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:31:16 +0200
>
> After last update I cannot spell check Ukrainian texts anymore. And
> there's no Ukrainian setup in ispell.el file.
>
> GNU Emacs 25.3.1, Ispell 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.7-rc1)
>
> There are only Ukrainian, English and Russian dictionaries installed in
> my system. But ispell-change-dictionary lists a bunch of not installed
> languages, including even Esperanto and there's no Ukrainian which in
> fact is installed. Is this a bug or maybe there is some tricky manual
> updating routine for Emacs which I had not followed? How can I make
> Emacs use installed dictionaries and not lost it after update?

Look at the function ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries: which
dictionaries does it find and put into ispell-aspell-dictionary-alist?

Also, what does "aspell dicts" report when invoked from the shell?

* Re: Ispell lost Ukrainian language after update
@ 2017-12-20 21:29   ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2017-12-20 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Look at the function ispell-find-aspell-dictionaries: which
> dictionaries does it find and put into ispell-aspell-dictionary-alist?

Thank you for your efforts.
I'm not very good at Lisp, but as far as I understand that function does
not work and returns "This function only works with Aspell >= 0.60"
message, at least in my scratch buffer.

Meantime the part of come which is responsible for getting the
dictionaries is able to get the correct list (at least in my scratch
buffer):

(ispell-call-process ispell-program-name nil t nil "dicts")en

en-variant_0
en-variant_1
en-variant_2
en-w_accents
en-wo_accents
en_AU
en_AU-variant_0
en_AU-variant_1
en_AU-w_accents
en_AU-wo_accents
en_CA
en_CA-variant_0
en_CA-variant_1
en_CA-w_accents
en_CA-wo_accents
en_GB
en_GB-ise
en_GB-ise-w_accents
en_GB-ise-wo_accents
en_GB-ize
en_GB-ize-w_accents
en_GB-ize-wo_accents
en_GB-variant_0
en_GB-variant_1
en_GB-w_accents
en_GB-wo_accents
en_US
en_US-variant_0
en_US-variant_1
en_US-w_accents
en_US-wo_accents
ru
ru-ye
ru-yeyo
ru-yo
uk

Meantime this is what I can get with C-h v:

ispell-aspell-dictionary-alist is a variable defined in ‘ispell.el’.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
An alist of parsed Aspell dicts and associated parameters.
Internal use.

[back]

> Also, what does "aspell dicts" report when invoked from the shell?
papa@hornet ~ % aspell dicts
en
en-variant_0
en-variant_1
en-variant_2
en-w_accents
en-wo_accents
en_AU
en_AU-variant_0
en_AU-variant_1
en_AU-w_accents
en_AU-wo_accents
en_CA
en_CA-variant_0
en_CA-variant_1
en_CA-w_accents
en_CA-wo_accents
en_GB
en_GB-ise
en_GB-ise-w_accents
en_GB-ise-wo_accents
en_GB-ize
en_GB-ize-w_accents
en_GB-ize-wo_accents
en_GB-variant_0
en_GB-variant_1
en_GB-w_accents
en_GB-wo_accents
en_US
en_US-variant_0
en_US-variant_1
en_US-w_accents
en_US-wo_accents
ru
ru-ye
ru-yeyo
ru-yo
uk
papa@hornet ~ %

Ukrainian dictionary is uk.

* Re: Ispell lost Ukrainian language after update
@ 2017-12-21  7:49   ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2017-12-21  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had reinstalled both Emacs and Aspell but it didn't help.

* Re: Ispell lost Ukrainian language after update
@ 2017-12-21  8:42     ` Melleus
From: Melleus @ 2017-12-21  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry for the noise, but I beleive that I run into some serious bug, as
everything look like Emacs`s Ispell cannot detect which dictionaries are
really installed in the system anymore and therefore it presents users
with some dummy dictionaries list which would work only for that
languages from that list that randomly correspond with the really
installed and throw the error for others. English is installed mostly
everywhere, so it works for English but folks who also need less
widespread languages (like me) are affected. This bug renders Emacs
unusable for work with text in many not very widely spread landuages.

Could somebody confirm this bug and report it as my skills in that is
very humble still, unfortunately. Thanks ahead of time.