Here's a new version of the patch. I fixed the keymap thing, and looked carefully at the code called from `gnus-summary-mode'. `turn-on-mailing-list-mode' clearly belongs in `gnus-summary-setup-buffer', so I moved it up there. The format spec and mark position stuff doesn't vary depending on the group, but I have dreams of a day when it will, so I moved that up, too. I added more docs and comments making the separation of concerns clear: `gnus-summary-setup-buffer' handles group-dependent setup, `gnus-summary-mode' handles group-independent stuff. That's also the motivation for moving the three `make-local-variables', which would otherwise be a pointless change. I hope this is acceptable (I'm cc'ing Lars in case he has an opinion). I'll run it locally for a week or so, then push to master. Eric