Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" writes: > Nate Sandy writes: > >> Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text >> editors" writes: >> >>> I presume this is a no-toolkit build, correct? >> I configured Emacs like this: >> >> ./configure --prefix=/home/n/emacs-nix/build-x -C >> --with-native-compilation=no 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3' >> --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --enable-check-lisp-object-type >> >> which seems to mean "X toolkit". The error also happens with 29.2, where >> I see "X toolkit" as well. > > You must add: > > --with-x-toolkit=no I see. Configuring with this flag makes alpha-background work, with Cairo and Xrender. So alpha-background is only supported without an X toolkit. Is this intended? From what I can tell, packages usually build *with* an X toolkit, so most X users cannot use alpha-background? As it turns out, fringe bitmaps already respect alpha-background when configuring without Cairo, i.e., with Xrender. As such, I am attaching the same patch as before, but this time with a commit message that hopefully conforms to the ChangeLog convention.