all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-o (was: Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove)
@ 2024-07-03 19:32 Johan Myréen
From: Johan Myréen @ 2024-07-03 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> I can see someone doing C-o foo bar but I don't see the benefit compared
> to foo bar RET

The benefit is that C-o opens a new blank line to type on, instead of
prepending what you are writing to the pre-existing text on the line, which
I find very distracting. Also, I might want to do a quick edit to what I
have typed so far (maybe to fix a typo before I forget it's there), and
then return to add new text to the line. If I open a new blank line with
C-o, I just type C-e to continue typing, but if the line is still stringed
together with the old line, then finding the correct point is a pita.

Note that the vi editor also has not only one, but two "open line" commands
"o" and "O", for opening a line below and above the current line,
respectively.

* Proposal: new default bindings for winner and windmove
@ 2021-08-21 19:10 Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2021-08-21 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Today, winner binds C-c LEFT  and C-c RIGHT for window configuration
undo and redo, respectively. This set of bindings has three problems:

  1) the bindings occupy binding space on important keys, LEFT and
RIGHT, for functions that are rarely used,

2) the winner binding space isn't logically connected to window
management, and

3) the bindings don't work on terminals without LEFT and RIGHT.

How about we set up these bindings instead?

C-x 4 C-/ winner-undo

M-- C-x 4 C-/ winner-redo

This way, a winner undo has the same binding as editing undo, but under
C-x 4, which means window management stuff.

(Also: is there any reason we shouldn't enable winner by default?)

Likewise, for windmove, we can bind C-x 4 {left, right, up, down} and
DWIM for people automatically, enabled by default.