all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What's the problem with the authenticity of 21.3?
@ 2003-08-13  8:14 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-08-13  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody.

I was looking at the gnu ftp server and one of its mirrors last night,
with a view to downloading 21.3, (or at least, a patch to upgrade to it).

Instead of this, I could find only the file
emacs-21.3.tar.gz.back-RSN.README which contained a massive list of files
(about 690) which are currently unavailable "because their authenticity
is being confirmed.  We expect to have them uploaded Real Soon Now
(RSN)."

Can anybody throw any light upon what's going on?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: What's the problem with the authenticity of 21.3?
@ 2003-08-13 22:02 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2003-08-13 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <e1schb.r5.ln@acm.acm>, Alan Mackenzie <none@example.invalid> wrote:
>Hi everybody.
>
>I was looking at the gnu ftp server and one of its mirrors last night,
>with a view to downloading 21.3, (or at least, a patch to upgrade to it).
>
>Instead of this, I could find only the file
>emacs-21.3.tar.gz.back-RSN.README which contained a massive list of files
>(about 690) which are currently unavailable "because their authenticity
>is being confirmed.  We expect to have them uploaded Real Soon Now
>(RSN)."
>
>Can anybody throw any light upon what's going on?

I just saw a CERT Advisory that said that root on ftp.gnu.org has been
compromised since March.  They've presumably been going through all the
software on it and verifying that it hasn't been corrupted by the cracker.

--
Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA

* Re: What's the problem with the authenticity of 21.3?
@ 2003-08-15 20:50 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2003-08-15 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/08/13/1530239.shtml?tid=117&tid=126&tid=172&tid=99

hth,
jao

--
"Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more." -- William Cowper