all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-24 19:24 Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2003-08-24 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do you set up the dotfile for rmail in emacs for spam messages?...

* Re: dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-24 21:15 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-08-24 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote:

> How do you set up the dotfile for rmail in emacs for spam messages?...

Follow the instructions at:
http://www.deas.harvard.edu/climate/eli/Downloads/rmail-spam-filter/

* Re: dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-25  0:38   ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2003-08-25  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

It didn't work yet for emacs 20.7.2
when there now are these files in the home directory
get-new-mail-for-spam-filter.el
rmail-spam-filter.el

and now in the file .emacs

(setq rmail-use-spam-filter t)

(load "rmail-spam-filter.el")
(require 'rmail)
(load "get-new-mail-for-spam-filter.el")

* Re: dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-25  1:23     ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-08-25  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote:

> It didn't work yet for emacs 20.7.2

How ?  What did you expect to happen and what happened instead ?

> when there now are these files in the home directory
> get-new-mail-for-spam-filter.el
> rmail-spam-filter.el

If you get "Cannot open load file" errors, then you have to add your
home directory to `load-path' like so:

(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~"))

> and now in the file .emacs
>
> (setq rmail-use-spam-filter t)
>
> (load "rmail-spam-filter.el")
> (require 'rmail)
> (load "get-new-mail-for-spam-filter.el")

You also have to tell rmail-spam-library what is spam, which you do
by customizing the variable `rmail-spam-definitions-alist'.

My mail goes through a filter before I get it, which writes lots of
guff in the headers.  The spams have an X-Spam-Flag: YES header, so I
just use this:

(setq rmail-spam-definitions-alist
      '(((from . "") (to . "") (subject . "")
	 (contents . "X-Spam-Flag: YES")
	 (action . output-and-delete))))

* Re: dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-26 21:42       ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2003-08-26 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Paul Wallington <jpw@gnu.org> writes:

> My mail goes through a filter before I get it, which writes lots of
> guff in the headers.  The spams have an X-Spam-Flag: YES header, so I
> just use this:
>
> (setq rmail-spam-definitions-alist
>       '(((from . "") (to . "") (subject . "")
> 	 (contents . "X-Spam-Flag: YES")
> 	 (action . output-and-delete))))

I was wondering how to filter on headers other than Subject, Form, and
To.  Thanks.

However, I've found that filtering on contents really slows down
RMAIL.  Since X-Spam-Flag is really a header, is there any way to tell
rmail-spam-filter that, so it doesn't have to parse the entire
contents?  Or is that a feature request?

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: dotfile spam rmail emacs
@ 2003-08-27  0:07         ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-08-27  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) wrote:

> However, I've found that filtering on contents really slows down
> RMAIL.

Hm.  Its performance is adequate here.  However, most of the mails I
get are short.

> Since X-Spam-Flag is really a header, is there any way to tell
> rmail-spam-filter that, so it doesn't have to parse the entire
> contents?  Or is that a feature request?

I don't see one, perhaps I am being dense.  Irrespective of speed,
correctness is important (I guess saying "^X-Spam-Flag: YES" is a
little more specific).  I think it's a very good idea for a feature.