all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A question about Eshell
@ 2004-01-22 11:01 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2004-01-22 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I really like using Eshell when having a console session but I have one
problem. When I su to root I don't have highlighting of
filetypes/directories and I don't have autocompletion, too. TAB makes
real TABS instead.
What can I do to have this features after suing?

Regards,
        Tassilo

 We don't believe this to be a coincidence." Jeremy S. Anderson

* Re: A question about Eshell
@ 2004-01-29  8:30 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-01-29  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Tassilo Horn" <heimdall*REMOVETHIS*@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> I really like using Eshell when having a console session but I have one
> problem. When I su to root I don't have highlighting of
> filetypes/directories and I don't have autocompletion, too. TAB makes
> real TABS instead.
> What can I do to have this features after suing?

Eshell does not run a real shell.  Instead, it interprets each command
as you type it.  Now, if you type su, then eshell will start a su
process and send subsequent input to it.  It will not interpret the
I/O itself.

That's why su and normal usage are different.

You could try to use Tramp to access files as root.  In that case,
instead of su'ing to root, do "cd /root@localhost:/some/directory".
After this, find-file should edit files as root, and so on.

Alas, Tramp is not quite up to snuff regarding running commands.  That
is, if you run a command then the command might not be run as root,
causing it to have too little permission.  It's been this way for
quite a while, and it would be great to fix it, but I haven't had the
energy to do that.  (In fact, I don't even know exactly in what way it
is broken.)  Anyone?

Kai

* Re: A question about Eshell
@ 2004-01-29 10:59   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2004-01-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Eshell does not run a real shell.  Instead, it interprets each command
> as you type it.  Now, if you type su, then eshell will start a su
> process and send subsequent input to it.  It will not interpret the
> I/O itself.
>
> That's why su and normal usage are different.
>
> [Tramp stuff]

Thanks for the tipps. Instead of this I now use sudo to do the root-only
tasks. I really don't need a root shell but some commands like
fetchnews. And for this sudo seems to be the easiest solution.

> Kai

Much thanks,
     Tassilo

--
If riding in an airplane is flying, then riding in a boat is swimming.
If you want to experience the element, then get out of the vehicle