all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp questions
@ 2004-02-28 19:53 Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2004-02-28 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

i have a situation similar to one mentioned in earlier posts.  the
account requires a login of the form 'user@host.com' and this doesn't
seem to work correctly in ange-ftp.

i installed tramp and verified that it works by editing a file on a
system where the login is a normal 'user' + password login.  when i
try to use tramp on the above-mentioned account, it sits for a long
time and then times out with 'login failed.'  however, if i look at my
buffers, i see a login buffer for that account:

 *  *tramp/ssh trollope-l.net*	140 Fundamental

Last login: Sat Feb 28 13:04:43 2004 from 69.177.32.186.adsl.snet.net

(Linux 2.4.20-28.7~trollope-l.net) [tr0921ea] [  ~]

 1001 $ -->

 *Messages* shows the message "Sending password" repeatedly before
  'login failed' (sorry, it has scrolled off the top of the buffer, i
  can't get the exact verbiage).

But wait, there's more.  if i use the ftp method:

/ftp:trollope-l.net:test.txt

tramp connects, but then immediately tries to make another connection
to 'ftp' as 'anonymous', which errors out.  however, i found that the
file requested in the first place is loaded into a buffer, but the
buffer is buried.

*ftp tr0921ea@trollope-l.net@trollope-l.net*

ftp> 213 20040228131708
ftp> type binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get /home/tr0921ea/test.txt /tmp/ange-ftp21100xIl
227 Entering Passive Mode (216,127,74,97,137,198).
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /home/tr0921ea/test.txt (23 bytes)

226 Transfer complete.
23 bytes received in 0.00103 secs (22 Kbytes/sec)
ftp> type ascii
200 Type set to A.
ftp> quote mdtm /home/tr0921ea/test.txt
213 20040228131708
quote mdtm /home/tr0921ea/test.txt
ftp> 213 20040228131708
ftp> quote mdtm /home/tr0921ea/test.txt
213 20040228131708
quote mdtm /home/tr0921ea/test.txt
ftp> 213 20040228131708
ftp>

*ftp anonymous@ftp*

ftp> open ftp
ftp: ftp: Unknown host

so, basically, the ftp login is working, sort of, but something is
going haywire in the ssh login.  i tried setting tramp-debug-buffer t,
but nothing shows up there past 'sending password.'

tramp version 2.0.36.  i went to savannah but the directory for the
distributed version (followed the links) is empty.

thanks.

mp

--
cat: /home/powem/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2004-02-29 17:48 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-02-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

For ssh, you can fake it by adding an entry to ~/.ssh/config:

Host somealias
    HostName the.real.host.name
    User user@host

After this, check from the command line that "ssh somealias" logs you
in as user "user@host" on the real host.  When this works, you can do
C-x C-f /ssh:somealias:/some/file RET.

Does this work?

Kai

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2004-03-01 15:40   ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2004-03-01 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> For ssh, you can fake it by adding an entry to ~/.ssh/config: Host
    Kai> somealias HostName the.real.host.name User user@host

    Kai> After this, check from the command line that "ssh somealias" logs you
    Kai> in as user "user@host" on the real host.  When this works, you can do
    Kai> C-x C-f /ssh:somealias:/some/file RET.

Does tramp read that file or is it only used by ssh?  I'm wondering if it would
work with plink.

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2004-03-01 15:57     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-03-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee <pete_lee@swbell.net> writes:

> Does tramp read that file or is it only used by ssh?  I'm wondering
> if it would work with plink.

ssh reads the file.  That's why I said "fake it".

Kai

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2004-03-06 14:18   ` Michael Powe
From: Michael Powe @ 2004-03-06 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> For ssh, you can fake it by adding an entry to ~/.ssh/config:
    Kai> Host somealias HostName the.real.host.name User user@host

    Kai> After this, check from the command line that "ssh somealias"
    Kai> logs you in as user "user@host" on the real host.  When this
    Kai> works, you can do C-x C-f /ssh:somealias:/some/file RET.

    Kai> Does this work?

actually, the entry is already in .ssh/config and i have done
`/trollope-l.net:' w/o the user@ but right now i don't remember the
outcome.  i'll try it again and post.  and i will try prepending the
`ssh:' as well.

this connection is rsa public key.

thanks.

mp

--

@ 2006-09-30 23:30 Ajit Mylavarapu
From: Ajit Mylavarapu @ 2006-09-30 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am using tramp to access files over SSH. Everything is working mostly
fine. There are two little problems (if you will), that I observe when
using tramp:

1. When I open a new file over SSH, it takes a little while to open the
file up. I understand that this is dependent on the speed of the
connection and also the responsiveness of the remote box, but is there a
way to speed this up?

2. Also, sometimes when I am editing a file, the cursor stops
momentarily. This does not happen with local files. Is there a way that
I can get rid of this problem, maybe by decreasing the frequency with
which tramp communicates over SSH?

Thanks for any help,
Ajit.

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2006-10-01 16:25 ` Tim Heaney
From: Tim Heaney @ 2006-10-01 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ajit Mylavarapu <ajitkart@stanford.edu> writes:

> 2. Also, sometimes when I am editing a file, the cursor stops
> momentarily. This does not happen with local files. Is there a way
> that I can get rid of this problem, maybe by decreasing the frequency
> with which tramp communicates over SSH?

How about turning off auto-save?

  M-x auto-save-mode RET

Now don't forget to do saves yourself... :)

Tim

* Re: tramp questions
@ 2006-10-07 10:04 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2006-10-07 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ajit Mylavarapu <ajitkart@stanford.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using tramp to access files over SSH. Everything is working mostly
> fine. There are two little problems (if you will), that I observe when
> using tramp:
>
> 1. When I open a new file over SSH, it takes a little while to open the
> file up. I understand that this is dependent on the speed of the
> connection and also the responsiveness of the remote box, but is there a
> way to speed this up?

>From http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/TrampMode,

    "If Tramp isn’t fast enough for you, try shfs at
    http://shfs.sourceforge.net/"

While, seems then we'll miss tramp's remote command feature..

--
William

I remember once being on a station platform in Cleveland at four in the
morning.  A black porter was carrying my bags, and as we were waiting for
the train to come in, he said to me: "Excuse me, Mr. Cooke, I don't want to
invade your privacy, but I have a bet with a friend of mine.  Who composed
the opening theme music of 'Omnibus'?  My friend said Virgil Thomson."  I
asked him, "What do you say?" He replied, "I say Aaron Copeland." I said,
"You're right."  The porter said,  "I knew Thomson doesn't write counterpoint
that way."  I told that to a network president, and he was deeply unimpressed.
		-- Alistair Cooke

* Re: Tramp questions
       [not found] <9d50c8be-46a0-436e-b02e-466d04ce6d54@t20g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-12-01 10:08 ` michael.albinus
From: michael.albinus @ 2010-12-01 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabor Greif; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Gabor Greif <g.greif@lucent.com> writes:

> ## Reposting since my original question was posted via
> ## groups.google.com and did not make it to the newsgroup

[This posting didn't make it either; I've seen it on news.alcatel.com. I
suspect, that news server does not feed the article outside]

[Yes, you could find me in the A-LU X500 directory :-) ]

> Hi all,

Hi Gabor,

> first of all, big thank you to all who have developed and as
> maintaining emacs tramp. It is a truly great tool and have saved me
> from countless headaches!
>
> Some remarks and questions follow...
>
> 1) Is there a method which instead of sending back entire files, sends
> only the diffs to the last saved checkpoint of the file? Something
> like '/ssh+patch:...' ? I ask, because in my setup download is very
> fast, but upstream is unreliable for more than a few kB, so saving all
> but tiny files regularly hangs. Maybe the ssh tunnel to the outer
> world is defective or constrained, but I have no control over this
> aspect :-( A patch-based save would work for me, as I tend to save WIP
> files often, so the patches are very small.

Tramp itself does not support this mechanism. You could try the rsync or
rsyncc methods. According to the ChangeLog, there are some optimizations
since Tramp 2.1.17.

Emacs *could* support saving of file pieces, see function
`write-region'. But I believe, the arguments start and end are not used
as much in the codebase, and Tramp is just a library, which implements
such basic functions.

> 2) I have observed that 'M-x compile' will remotely run my (e.g.) make
> command. This is wonderful, and I became even more astonished seeing
> that clicking in compile errors in .c files even opens the remote file
> and positions the cursor. But sometimes the error parser gets confused
> and does not chop off the ":line:column" portion from the filename and
> tries to open e.g. 'foo.c:77:23', which - of course - does not exist.
> Is this a tramp-related problem? (I guess so, since locally all is
> good.)

I'm not aware of this problem. Maybe you could show an example.

> That's it, thanks for any hints in advance!
>
> Cheers,
>
>     Gabor

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Tramp questions
@ 2010-12-01 13:46   ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-12-01 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

michael.albinus@gmx.de wrote:

> Gabor Greif writes:
>> ## Reposting since my original question was posted via
>> ## groups.google.com and did not make it to the newsgroup
>
> [This posting didn't make it either; I've seen it on news.alcatel.com. I
> suspect, that news server does not feed the article outside]

Might have something to do with problems on lists.gnu.org earlier
today. Some articles I posted via gmane failed to arrive, others only
with longish delays. HTTP requests to lists.gnu.org, to look at the
archives, failed (although it was responding to ICMP requests).

* Re: Tramp questions
@ 2010-12-01 23:51     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2010-12-01 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> writes:

> Might have something to do with problems on lists.gnu.org earlier
> today. Some articles I posted via gmane failed to arrive, others only
> with longish delays. HTTP requests to lists.gnu.org, to look at the
> archives, failed (although it was responding to ICMP requests).

Maybe this is due to savannah's outage. See http://savannah.gnu.org

Best regards, Michael.