all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
@ 2005-03-05  6:17 Ulrich Hobelmann
From: Ulrich Hobelmann @ 2005-03-05  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:
  * there seem to be dozens of unofficial Emacs/Mac pages on the web,
more or less unmaintained, outdated, and Mr Choi, who seems to have
created the carbon port, has quit
  * the unofficial version floating around on the web is 21.3.something
    it works, but it only has one font, which is why I don't use emacs
right now
  * I just noticed that 21.4 was recently released.  The GNU project
page says Mac OS X is a supported platform.  I downloaded it, but
./configure says it is not supported.  etc/MACHINES only mentions
YellowDogLinux/PPC, no Mac in there.

What is the official status of Emacs on the web?  What is the most
current info page that is maintained (is there one?)?  If there is a
current working Emacs, does anyone know how to get normal fonts working
and set that in the .emacs file?  (I also found dozens of outdated
webpages on that topic; most of their hints didn't work for my emacs
21.3.X)...

Thanks for your help, Ulrich

* Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
@ 2005-03-05 11:11 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-05 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.03.2005 um 07:17 schrieb Ulrich Hobelmann:

> Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:

If you want to compile it yourself, you'll probably have to use a
snapshot from CVS. DarwinPorts or Fink (in the unstable section) have
them. If you want more, you can check
http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs and: "make bootstrap" is the
command to build this Emacs. And don't give gcc too much switches for
the first try. In this software there is a top directory mac with a
script, make-package, that meanwhile might be able to create an
installer package (.pkg inside a .dmg). When I tried it a few days ago
it did not work for me because some minor things were not set, but I
reported this issue.

If you can live without compilation, you could try this:

- Seiji Zenitani's Carbon build with transparency (version 21.3.50.1,
CVS 20050201)

	<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/
carbonemacspackage.html>
	<http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html>

This might be useful too, particularly the tweaks, I did not try yet:

http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/osx_emacs.html
http://www.reitter-it-media.de/software/Emacs-OSX-Tweaks.tgz

There is also this:

Around last Christmas I published there Elisp files with fontsets for
the Carbon and the X11 personality of GNU Emacs -- but beware: your
system might be missing some fonts! To retrieve the lists of knows
fonts try in both: M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB and save the
*Completions* buffers.

My entry into the diverse personalities is like this:

(cond ((= 21 emacs-major-version)
     (progn
     (cond ((string= "x" window-system)
         (message "Sind in X11")
         (load "~/.emacs_X11")
         ))      ; Ende X11
     (cond ((string= "mac" window-system)
         (message "Sind in Aqua")
         (load "~/.emacs_Carbon")
         ))
     (cond ((string= 'nil window-system)
;     (progn
         (message "Sind im Terminal")
         (load "~/.emacs_nil")
         ));)    ; Ende Terminal
     (cond ((= 2 emacs-minor-version)
         (message "Apple's GNU Emacs")
         (load "~/.emacs_Apple")
         ));Version 21.1.30.3
)));Version 21

Emacs from CVS is 22.0.50. GNU Emacs 21.4 is "only" a release to fix a
security hole, so most of its code was not coming from CVS ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                                    - Tom Stoppard

* Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
@ 2005-03-05 21:38 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-05 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:

It's only supported with Emacs-CVS.

* Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
@ 2005-03-06  3:51   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2005-03-06  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:
>
> It's only supported with Emacs-CVS.

Andrew Choi indicated that his patches were supposed to become part of
21.4 but it sounds like that did not in fact happen?

* Re: Emacs 21.4 on Mac OS X
@ 2005-03-06  4:41     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-06  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Hi, about the status of Emacs on the Mac:
>>
>> It's only supported with Emacs-CVS.

> Andrew Choi indicated that his patches were supposed to become part of
> 21.4 but it sounds like that did not in fact happen?

He meant "the next feature release".  It turned out that 21.4 was not
a feature release but a bug-fix release.

In any case, the canonical Carbon Emacs is the Emacs-CVS code, AFAIK
(originally developed by Andrew Choi and now maintained by other people).