all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-18 11:44 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-18 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

please point to the right group if this does not belong here.

using emacs-calc "Embedded Mode", I tried it on my *scratch* buffer,
not working, here is what it does.
I copied this region from the info buffer to do a demo
     The derivative of

                                        ln(ln(x))

     is

ln(ln(x))

when I point to this last line's formula, hit 'M-# e' it then moves
the last line formula to the beginning of the line, then hit 'a d x'
according to the doc to evaluate it, it does not insert the solution
any where and it flashes some horizontal lines in the top line of the
buffer and in the mini-buffer, as if it is not understanding the
typed commands. it is only when I move the pointer to the x it works,
and changes the last line from ln(ln(x)) to 1 / ln(x) x

is this a bug? do I have to point the most inner argument to all nested
operation for it to work?

thanks

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-18 13:39 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-08-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:
> using emacs-calc "Embedded Mode", I tried it on my *scratch* buffer,
> not working, here is what it does.
> I copied this region from the info buffer to do a demo
>      The derivative of
>
>                                         ln(ln(x))
>
>      is
>
> ln(ln(x))
>
> when I point to this last line's formula, hit 'M-# e' it then moves
> the last line formula to the beginning of the line,

So far, so good.

> then hit 'a d x' according to the doc to evaluate it, it does not
> insert the solution any where and it flashes some horizontal lines
> in the top line of the buffer and in the mini-buffer, as if it is
> not understanding the typed commands. it is only when I move the
> pointer to the x it works, and changes the last line from ln(ln(x))
> to 1 / ln(x) x
>
> is this a bug?

Maybe.
It works fine with the cvs version of emacs, which includes Calc.
What version of emacs are you using?  What version of Calc?
What happens when you start emacs with "emacs -q", and then try what
you did again before doing anything else?

> do I have to point the most inner argument to all nested operation
> for it to work?

No; you shouldn't have to.

Jay

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-18 18:24   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-18 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

> Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:
>
> > using emacs-calc "Embedded Mode", I tried it on my *scratch* buffer,
> > not working, here is what it does.
> > I copied this region from the info buffer to do a demo
> >      The derivative of
> >
> >                                         ln(ln(x))
> >
> >      is
> >
> > ln(ln(x))
> >
> > when I point to this last line's formula, hit 'M-# e' it then moves
> > the last line formula to the beginning of the line,
>
> So far, so good.
>
> > then hit 'a d x' according to the doc to evaluate it, it does not
> > insert the solution any where and it flashes some horizontal lines
> > in the top line of the buffer and in the mini-buffer, as if it is
> > not understanding the typed commands. it is only when I move the
> > pointer to the x it works, and changes the last line from ln(ln(x))
> > to 1 / ln(x) x
> >
> > is this a bug?
>
> Maybe.
> It works fine with the cvs version of emacs, which includes Calc.
> What version of emacs are you using?  What version of Calc?
> What happens when you start emacs with "emacs -q", and then try what
> you did again before doing anything else?

Calc version:2.02f-23
Emacs version: 21.4a-1
$emacs -q works good.

-q hummm... 'do not load an init file'
that is not good, is my .emacs and whatever else being loaded is
causing some confect? so where go from here.

> > do I have to point the most inner argument to all nested operation
> > for it to work?
>
> No; you shouldn't have to.
>
> Jay

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-22 11:00     ` Peter Tury
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4776.1124818840.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Tury @ 2005-08-22 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

how can I download calc? Can it be used on Win (XP)?
I have Emacs 21.3.1 (a mingw build). I installed it simply and I can't see
any calc.el(c) etc.?

Thanks in advance,

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-23 17:10       ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4776.1124818840.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Tury wrote:
> how can I download calc? Can it be used on Win (XP)?
> I have Emacs 21.3.1 (a mingw build). I installed it simply and I can't see
> any calc.el(c) etc.?

Start here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AdvancedDeskCalculator

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs-calc
       [not found]       ` <mailman.4776.1124818840.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-29 14:39         ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2005-08-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:10:19 -0600, Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Peter Tury wrote:
>> how can I download calc? Can it be used on Win (XP)?
>> I have Emacs 21.3.1 (a mingw build). I installed it simply and I can't see
>> any calc.el(c) etc.?
>
> Start here:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AdvancedDeskCalculator

Thanks!
Unfortunately it seems to me that I would need to build it: it is not part
of "standard" (Windows) Emacs installation :-(
Moreover, it seems that its development is stopped a few years ago :-(
However I may try it...

Do you know any alternative application? The most interesting things in
that for me were: 1) it is part of Emacs (now I see: not exactly); 2)
arbitrary precision; 3) programmability (through elisp?).

Thanks again,

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-08-29 14:55           ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-08-29 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:10:19 -0600, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Peter Tury wrote:
>>> how can I download calc? Can it be used on Win (XP)?
> Unfortunately it seems to me that I would need to build it: it is not part
> of "standard" (Windows) Emacs installation :-(

It is part of CVS Emacs, and there are prebuilt packages of CVS Emacs
for Windows, for example, at http://www.crasseux.com/emacs

> Moreover, it seems that its development is stopped a few years ago :-(

That was before it became part of Emacs.

Jay

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-09-16  7:26             ` Peter Tury
From: Peter Tury @ 2005-09-16  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:55:07 -0500, Jay Belanger wrote:
> Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:
>> Unfortunately it seems to me that I would need to build it: it is not part
>> of "standard" (Windows) Emacs installation :-(
>
> It is part of CVS Emacs, and there are prebuilt packages of CVS Emacs
> for Windows, for example, at http://www.crasseux.com/emacs
>
>> Moreover, it seems that its development is stopped a few years ago :-(
>
> That was before it became part of Emacs.
>
> Jay

Thanks for these info!

I checked crasseux; however finally I found EmacsW32 on
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html. It has a conventional Windows
install .exe (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/) as well as an
extremly fine description of the whole building process (from "what is
needed exactly and how to download it"...)
(http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html). (I fell in love with
it for the first sight that is why I advertise it here ;-) It is made by
Lennart Borgman.

Br,

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-09-16  9:40               ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-09-16  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:

> I checked crasseux; however finally I found EmacsW32 on
> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html. It has a conventional Windows
> install .exe (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/) as well as an
> extremly fine description of the whole building process (from "what is
> needed exactly and how to download it"...)
> (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html). (I fell in love with
> it for the first sight that is why I advertise it here ;-)

You are not the only guy seeing it, so don't get carried off doing
something imprudent.

* Re: emacs-calc
@ 2005-09-16 15:02                 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2005-09-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I checked crasseux; however finally I found EmacsW32 on
>> http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html. It has a conventional Windows
>> install .exe (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/) as well as an
>> extremly fine description of the whole building process (from "what is
>> needed exactly and how to download it"...)
>> (http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/w32-build-emacs.html). (I fell in love with
>> it for the first sight that is why I advertise it here ;-)
>
> You are not the only guy seeing it, so don't get carried off doing
> something imprudent.

At least not without the proper virus protection.

Jay