all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-06 13:06 Matthias Knelangen
From: Matthias Knelangen @ 2006-02-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
when I'm marking text with the mouse in GNU emacs, it'll be
highlighted, but when I'm doing it via the keyboard (C-space) it won't.
How do I enable the mark highlighting for keyboard text selection?

regards
Matthias Knelangen

* Re: marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-06 13:28 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-02-06 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Feb 2006 05:06:24 -0800 Matthias Knelangen wrote:

> when I'm marking text with the mouse in GNU emacs, it'll be
> highlighted, but when I'm doing it via the keyboard (C-space) it won't.
> How do I enable the mark highlighting for keyboard text selection?

add

(transient-mark-mode 1)

to your ~/.emacs.  But better C-h f transient-mark-mode RET
first.  This will break some useful stuff.

If you use the developer version of emacs you can enable
transient-mark-mode temporally by hitting C-SPC twice.

David

* Re: marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-06 15:19 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-06 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.02.2006 um 14:06 schrieb Matthias Knelangen:

> when I'm marking text with the mouse in GNU emacs, it'll be
> highlighted, but when I'm doing it via the keyboard (C-space) it
> won't.
> How do I enable the mark highlighting for keyboard text selection?

It might have to do with transient-mark-mode. Check it and set it to t.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Eat the rich -- the poor are tough and stringy.

* RE: marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-06 17:06 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-02-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    when I'm marking text with the mouse in GNU emacs, it'll be
    highlighted, but when I'm doing it via the keyboard (C-space) it won't.
    How do I enable the mark highlighting for keyboard text selection?

Transient mark mode: M-x transient-mark-mode

You might also want to look at Delete Selection mode, which uses transient
mark mode: M-x delete-selection-mode

* Re: marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-06 21:47   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-06 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.02.2006 um 14:28 schrieb David Hansen:

> But better C-h f transient-mark-mode RET first.  This will break
> some useful stuff.

Which? Undo, could be. I see mostly an advantage when I can restrict
changes or actions to an area I have marked before ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"There's no place like 127.0.0.1"
                      origin unknown

* Re: marked text highlighting
@ 2006-02-07  0:53     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2006-02-07  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:47:14 +0100 Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.02.2006 um 14:28 schrieb David Hansen:
>
>> But better C-h f transient-mark-mode RET first.  This will
>> break  some useful stuff.
>
> Which? Undo, could be. I see mostly an advantage when I can
> restrict  changes or actions to an area I have marked before

Easyly done with C-SPC C-SPC (at least in the devel
version).  I use C-x C-x a lot and would miss it.  But thats
probably only just my editing habits.

David