all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
@ 2006-06-21 15:33 Swidan, Firas
From: Swidan, Firas @ 2006-06-21 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am unable to set the default foreground and background colors in all emacs
frames. I have added

(set-background-color "black")
(set-foreground-color "white")

To my .emacs. This changes the setting in the first emacs frame.  However,
if I use

C-x 5 f

To open a new file in a new frame, the foreground/background settings in the
.emacs file do not seem to affect the look of the new frame.

Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

Many thanks and all the best,
Firas.

* Re: Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
@ 2006-06-21 17:24 ` Gilbert Harman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gilbert Harman @ 2006-06-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am unable to set the default foreground and background colors in all emacs
> frames. I have added
>
> (set-background-color "black")
> (set-foreground-color "white")
>
> To my .emacs. This changes the setting in the first emacs frame.  However,
> if I use
>
> C-x 5 f
>
> To open a new file in a new frame, the foreground/background settings in the
> .emacs file do not seem to affect the look of the new frame.
>
> Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(foreground-color . "white"))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(background-color . "black"))

  Gil

* Re: Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
@ 2006-06-21 17:38 ` Ehud Karni
       [not found] ` <mailman.3128.1150911529.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ehud Karni @ 2006-06-21 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:33:51 -0400, Swidan, Firas wrote:

> I am unable to set the default foreground and background colors in all emacs
> frames. I have added
>
> (set-background-color "black")
> (set-foreground-color "white")
>
> To my .emacs. This changes the setting in the first emacs frame.  However,
> if I use
>
> C-x 5 f
>
> To open a new file in a new frame, the foreground/background settings in the
> .emacs file do not seem to affect the look of the new frame.

The docs for these functions state clearly they change colors only for
the selected frame.

Below is a little function that changes values on all frames (current
and future ones), use it.

Ehud.

(defun set-frame-value-all (key val)        ;; change frame attribute
    (aput 'initial-frame-alist key val)     ;; for ALL frames
    (aput 'default-frame-alist key val)
    (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) (list (cons key val))))

;; instead of (set-background-color "black") use:
    (set-frame-value-all 'background-color "black")

;; instead of (set-foreground-color "black") use:
    (set-frame-value-all 'foreground-color "black")

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* Re: Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
@ 2006-06-21 18:45   ` Swidan, Firas
From: Swidan, Firas @ 2006-06-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help. I have tried Gil's suggestion and it seems that it did
the trick.

Firas.

@ 2006-06-21 19:21 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3128.1150911529.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.06.2006 um 17:33 schrieb Swidan, Firas:

> To open a new file in a new frame, the foreground/background
> settings in the
> .emacs file do not seem to affect the look of the new frame.
>
> Any ideas how to tackle this issue?

Give these a chance:

         (setq initial-frame-alist '(
           (mouse-color           . "midnightblue")
           (foreground-color      . "grey20")
           (background-color      . "alice blue")
           (internal-border-width . 2)
           (line-spacing          . 1)
           (top . 20) (left . 650) (width . 91) (height . 60)))
         (setq default-frame-alist '(
           (border-color          . "#4e3832")
           (foreground-color      . "grey10")
           (background-color      . "ghost white")
           (vertical-scroll-bars  . left)
           (cursor-color          . "purple")
           (cursor-type           . box)
           (top . 30) (left . 150) (width . 89) (height . 56)))

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

@ 2006-06-21 19:21   ` Norbert Melzer
From: Norbert Melzer @ 2006-06-21 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ehud Karni schrieb:
> (defun set-frame-value-all (key val)        ;; change frame attribute
>     (aput 'initial-frame-alist key val)     ;; for ALL frames
>     (aput 'default-frame-alist key val)
>     (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) (list (cons key val))))
>

> ;; instead of (set-background-color "black") use:
>     (set-frame-value-all 'background-color "black")
>
> ;; instead of (set-foreground-color "black") use:
>     (set-frame-value-all 'foreground-color "black")

Doesn't help here:

Symbol's function definition is void: aput

Thats what I get when inserting in ~/.emacs and starting :-(

* RE: Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
@ 2006-06-21 20:15     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-06-21 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > (defun set-frame-value-all (key val)        ;; change frame attribute
    >     (aput 'initial-frame-alist key val)     ;; for ALL frames
    >     (aput 'default-frame-alist key val)
    >     (modify-frame-parameters (selected-frame) (list (cons key val))))

    Doesn't help here: Symbol's function definition is void: aput

See my message today replying to subject "Save the font setting" - it applies to all frame parameters, not just the font. Just get some frame to be the way you want all frames to be, then use `set-frame-alist-parameter-from-frame' or 'set-all-frame-alist-parameters-from-frame'. After that, use Customize to save the alists you updated (e.g. `default-frame-alist' and `initial-frame-alist').

If you don't want to do that, just customize those variables directly. What's good about the `set*' commands is that you need not know anything about how frame parameters are represented. See this doc: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CustomizingAndSaving#SavingFrameParameters.

* Re: Changing foreground/background colors in all frames
       [not found] <mailman.3123.1150909180.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-21 22:36 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-06-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Swidan, Firas" <swidanf@hhmi.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am unable to set the default foreground and background colors in all emacs
> frames. I have added
>
> (set-background-color "black")
> (set-foreground-color "white")
>
> To my .emacs. This changes the setting in the first emacs frame.  However,
> if I use
>
> C-x 5 f
>
> To open a new file in a new frame, the foreground/background settings in the
> .emacs file do not seem to affect the look of the new frame.
>
> Any ideas how to tackle this issue?
>
> Many thanks and all the best,
> Firas.

Either set the values in default-frame-alist AND initial-fram-alist or
far easier, use M-x customize-face <ret> default <ret>

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au