all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 21.3 with svn
@ 2007-02-02 18:58 Ken Goldman
From: Ken Goldman @ 2007-02-02 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm being moved from cvs to svn.

Looking at the web, it's hard to tell whether it's possible to use svn
under emacs.  I found lots of bug reports.  Is it possible?

If so, neither the .el files nor svn include any install instructions.
Can someone point me to a web site, HOWTO, etc., that might tell me how
to get it going.

Meta-comment to elisp developers:  After you've spent months developing
your great package, take a few extra hours and put some install and
usage comments at the top.  You do want us to use your creation, don't you?

* Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
@ 2007-02-02 19:44 ` Leo
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3921.1170458610.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2007-02-02 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-02-02, Ken Goldman said:

> I'm being moved from cvs to svn.
>
> Looking at the web, it's hard to tell whether it's possible to use svn
> under emacs.  I found lots of bug reports.  Is it possible?
>
> If so, neither the .el files nor svn include any install
> instructions. Can someone point me to a web site, HOWTO, etc., that
> might tell me how to get it going.
>
> Meta-comment to elisp developers:  After you've spent months
> developing your great package, take a few extra hours and put some
> install and usage comments at the top.  You do want us to use your
> creation, don't you?

There are vc-svn (included in Emacs) and psvn¹

Footnotes:
¹  http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/

* Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
@ 2007-02-02 23:09   ` Eric Hanchrow
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3921.1170458610.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2007-02-02 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Leo> There are vc-svn (included in Emacs) and psvn¹

Note that vc-svn doesn't come with the released version of Emacs, but
only with what's in CVS.  (Rumor has it that that will be released
Real Soon Now™ as Emacs 22).

Note also that psvn.el rocks, if I may be so bold :-)

--
Most of what ends up in my essays I only thought of when I sat
down to write them.  That's why I write them.

* Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3921.1170458610.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-03  5:49     ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-03  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eric Hanchrow <offby1@blarg.net> writes:

>     Leo> There are vc-svn (included in Emacs) and psvn¹
>
> Note that vc-svn doesn't come with the released version of Emacs, but
> only with what's in CVS.  (Rumor has it that that will be released
> Real Soon Now™ as Emacs 22).
>
> Note also that psvn.el rocks, if I may be so bold :-)

Can you recommend a "move from cvs to svn" walkthrough ?

* Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
@ 2007-02-03  6:48       ` Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-02-03  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:

>>     Leo> There are vc-svn (included in Emacs) and psvn¹
>>
>> Note that vc-svn doesn't come with the released version of Emacs, but
>> only with what's in CVS.  (Rumor has it that that will be released
>> Real Soon Now™ as Emacs 22).
>>
>> Note also that psvn.el rocks, if I may be so bold :-)
>
> Can you recommend a "move from cvs to svn" walkthrough ?

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.forcvs.html , part of
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/ , seemed alright.  However, I'm not very
familiar with either.

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: emacs 21.3 with svn
@ 2007-02-03 10:29 ` Radamanthe
From: Radamanthe @ 2007-02-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ken Goldman wrote:
> I'm being moved from cvs to svn.
>
> Looking at the web, it's hard to tell whether it's possible to use svn
> under emacs.  I found lots of bug reports.  Is it possible?

Yes. There are some differences between the way cvs and svn handle some
things. I used to use a precompiled version of emacs 21.3 under Win32
and had some problems with psvn.el (the pcl-cvs for svn) not working at
all. I finally figured out to check-in files with C-x C-v and do basic
stuffs only, but once I had to do more complex things, I switched out of
emacs, using svn from a shell or TortoiseSVN (a nice GUI).

I managed recently to compile emacs 21.4.1 under Win32, and now
everything goes well (svn-status is nice). psvn.el is supposed to work
with 21.3 anyway, but I suppose there is a problem with precompiled
emacs 21.3 found on the net.

> If so, neither the .el files nor svn include any install instructions.
> Can someone point me to a web site, HOWTO, etc., that might tell me how
> to get it going.

Really straightforward. Make sure you find psvn.el on the net (it is not
yet provided with emacs). The one I use is tagged:

;; $Id: psvn.el 18470 2006-02-15 20:51:59Z xsteve $

Then put in your .emacs:

(require 'psvn)
(add-to-list 'vc-handled-backends 'SVN)

Type 'C-x svn-status', enter a svn controlled directory.
After that, a "dired-like" buffer is created (in major svn-status-mode).
There are lots of commands in this mode. Do 'C-h m' for documentation.
Enjoy.

--
R.N.