all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* line number
@ 2003-08-28  1:03 Stanley Yao
From: Stanley Yao @ 2003-08-28  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,
I did not find any article online describing how to show line numbers on
the left side of each line. Could anybody help me with this?
Thanks,
Stan

* Re: line number
@ 2003-08-28  6:29 ` Dryice Liu
From: Dryice Liu @ 2003-08-28  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU> wrote:
> I did not find any article online describing how to show line numbers on
> the left side of each line. Could anybody help me with this?
Check wb-line-number.el and setnu.el

--
Dryice Liu

* Re: line number
@ 2003-08-28  7:14 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-08-28  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Stanley Yao <yao@CS.Arizona.EDU>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:03:22 -0700
>
> I did not find any article online describing how to show line numbers on
> the left side of each line. Could anybody help me with this?

Look for a package called `setnu'.

* line number
@ 2007-03-03 21:35 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-03 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

1 Hi
2
3 how can I number the lines of the buffer so that it shows on the start
4 of each line, kind of a line index like what you see here.
5
6
7 thank you

* Re: line number
@ 2007-03-03 22:04 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2007-03-03 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Gary> 1 Hi 2 3 how can I number the lines of the buffer so that it shows on
    Gary> the start 4 of each line, kind of a line index like what you see here.
    Gary> 5 6 7 thank you

This is a FAQ. See the EmacsWiki at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki for
"ine numbers" or "number lines".

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

If you currently have a 32-bit UNIX system, you are advised to
trade it in for a 64-bit one sometime before the year 2106.

Andrew S. Tanenbaum: Modern Operating Systems, 2nd Edition

* Re: line number
@ 2007-03-04  1:54   ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2007-03-04  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 3, 2:04 pm, Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bo...@post.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

>     Gary> 1 Hi 2 3 how can I number the lines of the buffer so that it shows on
>     Gary> the start 4 of each line, kind of a line index like what you see here.
>     Gary> 5 6 7 thank you
>
> This is a FAQ. See the EmacsWiki athttp://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wikifor
> "ine numbers" or "number lines".
>
> Toto
>
> --
> Contact information and PGP key athttp://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow
>
> If you currently have a 32-bit UNIX system, you are advised to
> trade it in for a 64-bit one sometime before the year 2106.
>
> Andrew S. Tanenbaum: Modern Operating Systems, 2nd Edition

However, the working is weird. I found the display-line-numer, but,
yes. it shows line number, but whenever I try to edit a source code,
the line number is disappeared. Is other way to keep the line number
showing?

* Re: line number
@ 2007-03-04  9:08     ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2007-03-04  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Daniel> However, the working is weird. I found the display-line-numer, but,
    Daniel> yes. it shows line number, but whenever I try to edit a source code,
    Daniel> the line number is disappeared. Is other way to keep the line number
    Daniel> showing?

Sorry I garbled the link. Still in no-sleep mode. I found a lot more there,
including a detailed discussion of the proposed solutions and their
drawbacks. Have you given wb-line-numbers a shot?

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

"An accident has occurred at Chernobyl nuclear power station. One
of the atomic reactors has been damaged. Measures are being taken
to eliminate the consequences of the accident. Aid is being given
to the victims. A government commission has been set up."

Moscow Radio's first report of the accident, 28 April 1986

* Re: line number
@ 2007-03-06 21:51       ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2007-03-06 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 4, 1:08 am, Thorsten Bonow <thorsten.bo...@post.rwth-aachen.de>
wrote:

>     Daniel> However, the working is weird. I found the display-line-numer, but,
>     Daniel> yes. it shows line number, but whenever I try to edit a source code,
>     Daniel> the line number is disappeared. Is other way to keep the line number
>     Daniel> showing?
>
> Sorry I garbled the link. Still in no-sleep mode. I found a lot more there,
> including a detailed discussion of the proposed solutions and their
> drawbacks. Have you given wb-line-numbers a shot?
>
> Toto
>
> --
> Contact information and PGP key athttp://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow
>
> "An accident has occurred at Chernobyl nuclear power station. One
> of the atomic reactors has been damaged. Measures are being taken
> to eliminate the consequences of the accident. Aid is being given
> to the victims. A government commission has been set up."
>
> Moscow Radio's first report of the accident, 28 April 1986

I tried to find out where wb-line-numbers.el is, but I couldn't. If
you know the site link, would you please let us know it?

Also, the line number things I posted was the first shot I saw. After
seeing the mechanism works of line number, I found out that it just
put line numbers in raw data. I thought the displaying line numbers
are separated work like notepad++ or other text editors in Windows OS.
So, well, :) For beginner like me and for people already get used to
Windows, emacs does not seem to be attractive, though. :p

* Re: line number
@ 2007-03-07 11:51 ` Lei W
From: Lei W @ 2007-03-07 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Wessle, help-gnu-emacs

--- Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 1 Hi
> 2
> 3 how can I number the lines of the buffer so that
> it shows on the start
> 4 of each line, kind of a line index like what you
> see here.
> 5
> 6
> 7 thank you

try setnu.el
There is a setnu-plus.el too,but i don't exactly know
how to use:(

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

* RE: line number
@ 2007-03-07 16:12   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-03-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > 3 how can I number the lines of the buffer so that
> > it shows on the start
> > 4 of each line, kind of a line index like what you
> > see here.
>
> try setnu.el
> There is a setnu-plus.el too,but i don't exactly know
> how to use:(

Just load it. setnu+.el is a minor enhancement of setnu.el. setnu+.el loads
setnu.el. Both are available here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?action=index;match=%5C.(el%7Ctar)(%5C.
gz)%3F%24.

Some explanation is here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/LineNumbers.

* Re: line number
       [not found] <mailman.602.1173284002.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-07 20:11 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2007-03-07 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry, I really should get some sleep: It's wb-line-number.el (without the "s"
at the end)

   http://homepage1.nifty.com/blankspace/emacs/elisp.html

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

"We apologise for the inconvenience"
(God's Final Message to His Creation)

Douglas Adams: So long, and thanks for all the fish