all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:37 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Message du 19/04/07 à 01h11
> De : "Jason Rumney" <jasonr@gnu.org>
> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Objet : Re: emacs' icon on X ?
>
> A Soare wrote:
> > Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
> >
> > On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?
> >

> It has been changed on X, but if your window manager is not capable of
> displaying nice icons, it will not look nice. I just tried with tmm, and
> it does a terrible conversion to monochrome.

I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-20 12:09 Vinicius Jose Latorre
From: Vinicius Jose Latorre @ 2007-04-20 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 > >> Quite so.
 > >
 > > Just wondering:
 > >
 > >     $ pnginfo /usr/share/emacs/22.0.98/etc/images/icons/emacs_48.png
 > >     [...]
 > >     Software (tEXt uncompressed): Macromedia Fireworks 8
 > >     [...]
 > >
 > > Somewhat surprising that "official" FSF icons were made with non-free
 > > software. ;-)
 >
 > GNU Emacs is developed by volunteers, not FSF employees.
 >
 > On the other hand, there is no point giving Macromedia free
 > advertising, so I removed the metadata.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Well, now the icons have a white background instead of a transparent
background
(as it was before).

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 13:23 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > I use on my laptop KDE with a NVIDIA card and nvidia driver and
> > everything looks excellent. But for emacs' icon!
>
> You're probably referring to the Emacs icon packaged by KDE.  It's not
> been updated to the Emacs 22 icon, but that's out of our control.
>
> Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
>
>   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
>   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
>
> (BTW, would someone like to do that?)

I said in this morning that I send today to KDE/GNOME, but I still would like to ask somebody else to talk with their developement team. It is better so, because I do not know if everybody wants that etc/images/icons be installed everywhere, etcetera.

Alin Soare.

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19 11:28 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Faulhammer; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr>:
> > > Note the following item from FOR-RELEASE:
> > >   ** Send an email to the various distributions, including the GNOME
> > >   and KDE projects, to use the new Emacs icons in etc/images/icons.
> > > (BTW, would someone like to do that?)
> > I will send now.
>
>  Gentoo uses the icon taken from Gnome.
>
> > What icon shell I propose for install?
>
>  And is that an official wish?  For a identical perception on all
> platforms?

I do not know...

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-19  9:32 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-19  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

@ 2007-04-18 23:42 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

If one googles for emacs, one finds another EMACS ICON: its name is emacs !

http://www.thoroughlymorgan.com/emacs/emacs.html

(ce n'est qu'un chat errant).

* Re: emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 23:34 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinicius Jose Latorre; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Message du 19/04/07 à 01h09
> De : "Vinicius Jose Latorre" <viniciusjl@ig.com.br>
> A : alinsoar@voila.fr
> Copie à : "Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Objet : Re: emacs' icon on X ?
>
> A Soare wrote:
> > Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.
> >
> > On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?
> >

> BTW, could you send a screenshot  of Emacs icon on Mac?

Here is a beautiful one that I do not know whether it it used on mac or not:

http://www2.ing.unipi.it/~d9615/homepage/mac/myemacsicon.png

And here that one used on mac:

http://www.apfelwiki.de/Main/Emacs?action=imgpopup&image=EmacsCarbonIcon.png

And here one that I did not know about:

http://fhornoy.linux62.org/Nuvola_apps_emacs.png

* emacs' icon on X ?
@ 2007-04-18 21:49 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-04-18 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

Why does nobody make a nice icon for emacs? For a nice thing a nice icon.

On Mac I saw one nice icon and another one that I do not know if it is on mac. Why do you not change it on X too?

A soare.