all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: interactions between after-string and display properties
@ 2008-02-29 18:49 Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-02-29 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Joe Wells, emacs-devel

Hi Kim,

> Joe Wells <jbw@macs.hw.ac.uk> writes:
>
> An overlay's after-string property is not displayed if an immediately
> following overlay has the empty string as its display property.

To reproduce:

  (progn
    (if (get-buffer "*test*")
	(kill-buffer "*test*"))
    (pop-to-buffer "*test*")
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert "ABCD")
    (let ((o1 (make-overlay 2 3))
          (o2 (make-overlay 3 4)))
      (overlay-put o1 'after-string "1")
      (overlay-put o2 'display "")))

This bug seems to have been introduced by the following change.  It's
pretty long ago, but do you remember why this change was made, and
what implications where could be for reverting it?

2005-05-16  Kim F. Storm  <storm@cua.dk>

	* xdisp.c (handle_display_prop): Handle empty replacement.
	(handle_single_display_spec): Return -1 for empty replacement.

* Re: interactions between after-string and display properties
@ 2008-02-29 23:21 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2008-02-29 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Joe Wells, emacs-devel

> This bug seems to have been introduced by the following change.  It's
> pretty long ago, but do you remember why this change was made, and
> what implications where could be for reverting it?
>

> 2005-05-16  Kim F. Storm  <storm@cua.dk>
>
> 	* xdisp.c (handle_display_prop): Handle empty replacement.
> 	(handle_single_display_spec): Return -1 for empty replacement.

Maybe related to this bug report - but I don't remember the details.

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.pretest.bugs/7364