all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* draw line
@ 2008-03-19 21:00 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2008-03-19 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to draw a one-pixel line. I have tried quite a few things
by now but none of them works.

Here are two ways I have tried. Evaluating them should draw a red line
on the next line, which is only one pixel high.

(insert (concat "\n" (propertize "\n" 'face '(:background "red")
'display '(space :height (1)))))

(insert (concat "\n" (propertize "\n" 'face '(:background "red")
'line-height 1)))

This doesn't sound very promissing:

38.11 Line Height
... However, no matter what you specify, the actual line height can
never be less than the default. ...

But I know that some time ago I managed to draw a one-pixel line. I
just don't remember how I did it. So I don't know if I just can't come
up with the proper way of doing it anymore or if this is just not
possible anymore in 23.0. I have tried the expressions above with 22.1
without success also. But I don't know if I used 21 or 22 back when I
managed to draw a one-pixel line.

Anyways, does anyone know of a way to draw a line?

-- Jonas

* Re: draw line
@ 2008-03-20  7:19 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2008-03-20  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:00:00 +0100 Jonas Bernoulli wrote:

> Anyways, does anyone know of a way to draw a line?

Unicode line drawing characters?  Of course that won't change the line
height.

David

* Re: draw line
       [not found] <mailman.9244.1205978497.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-20  9:29 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-03-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Jonas Bernoulli" <jonas@bernoulli.cc> writes:

> Anyways, does anyone know of a way to draw a line?

(insert (concat (propertize " "
                            'face '(:background "red")
                            'display '(space :height (1)))
                (propertize "\n"
                            'face '(:background "red")
                            'line-height t)))

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: draw line
@ 2008-03-20 16:20 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2008-03-20 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Jonas Bernoulli" <jonas@bernoulli.cc> writes:

> I would like to draw a one-pixel line. I have tried quite a few things
> by now but none of them works.
>
> Here are two ways I have tried. Evaluating them should draw a red line
> on the next line, which is only one pixel high.
>
> (insert (concat "\n" (propertize "\n" 'face '(:background "red")
> 'display '(space :height (1)))))
>
> (insert (concat "\n" (propertize "\n" 'face '(:background "red")
> 'line-height 1)))
>
> This doesn't sound very promissing:
>
> 38.11 Line Height
> ... However, no matter what you specify, the actual line height can
> never be less than the default. ...

Does this help?

   A newline can have a `line-height' text or overlay property that
controls the total height of the display line ending in that newline.

   If the property value is `t', the newline character has no effect on
the displayed height of the line--the visible contents alone determine
the height.  This is useful for tiling small images (or image slices)
without adding blank areas between the images.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk