all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Selecting diferent init file from command switch
@ 2008-08-24 10:48 TheLonelyStar
From: TheLonelyStar @ 2008-08-24 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use emacs:
a) As an IDE
b) As an simple Editor for my configs

For the IDE I am loading a lot of stuff like cedet and ecb.
For the simple Editor, I do not/need that.

So I created 2 different init files: .emacs-ide, .emacs-editor!

But I do I tell emacs, that it should not loa ~/.emacs but i.E.
~/.emacs-ide???

Thanks!
Nathan

* Re: Selecting diferent init file from command switch
@ 2008-08-24 11:36 ` Bernardo Bacic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bernardo Bacic @ 2008-08-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

looking at "emacs --help" output, i'd say "emacs -Q --load <some_dot_emacs>"
should work

it was a dark and stormy night when TheLonelyStar said,

@ 2008-08-24 12:11 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.17464.1219595022.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-08-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TheLonelyStar; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.08.2008 um 12:48 schrieb TheLonelyStar:

> But I do I tell emacs, that it should not loa ~/.emacs but i.E.
> ~/.emacs-ide???

emacs -d that none of your init files is loaded, then add -l <file>.

A simple emacs --help can be so helpful!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Only useless documentation transcends the first two laws.
				– Arnold's Third Law of Documentation

* Re: Selecting diferent init file from command switch
@ 2008-08-24 16:15 ` David Hansen
       [not found] ` <mailman.17464.1219595022.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Hansen @ 2008-08-24 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So I created 2 different init files: .emacs-ide, .emacs-editor!
>
> But I do I tell emacs, that it should not loa ~/.emacs but i.E.
> ~/.emacs-ide???

You can set $HOME to get emacs load a ".emacs" from another directory.

David

@ 2008-08-24 17:22   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2008-08-24 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

>> So I created 2 different init files: .emacs-ide, .emacs-editor!
>>
>> But I do I tell emacs, that it should not loa ~/.emacs but i.E.
>> ~/.emacs-ide???
>
> You can set $HOME to get emacs load a ".emacs" from another directory.

I would rather propose a different solution.

You can have one ~/.emacs  that will check the command-line-args
variable for arguments specific to each usage:

(let ((pname (file-namestring (first command-line-args))))
 (cond
  ((string= "emacs-ide" pname)

    ;; do ide specific initialization

    )
  ((string= "emacs-quick-edit" pname)

    ;; do quick-edit specific initialization

    )
  (t

    ;; do default emacs specific initialization

    )))

and use symbolic links to emacs named emacs-ide and emacs-quick-edit.

If you really want to keep your initializations in different files,
then you can use in ~/.emacs:

(let ((pname (file-namestring (first command-line-args))))
  (cond
    ((string= pname "emacs")

      ;; do default emacs specific initialization

      )
    (t
      (load (format nil "~/.%s" pname)))))

"This statement is false."            In Lisp: (defun Q () (eq nil (Q)))

* Re: Selecting diferent init file from command switch
       [not found] <mailman.17457.1219574924.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-08-24 19:05 ` Chat
From: Chat @ 2008-08-24 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

TheLonelyStar <nabble@lonely-star.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs:
> a) As an IDE
> b) As an simple Editor for my configs
>
> For the IDE I am loading a lot of stuff like cedet and ecb.
> For the simple Editor, I do not/need that.
>
> So I created 2 different init files: .emacs-ide, .emacs-editor!
>
> But I do I tell emacs, that it should not loa ~/.emacs but i.E.
> ~/.emacs-ide???
>
> Thanks!
> Nathan
> --
I prefer to keep a .emacs file for common customizations and load or not load
files depending on the requirement.

To avoid loading gnuserv with multiple instances, I invoke as
emacs --val "(setq nobs 1)"

and in my .emacs
(when (not (boundp 'nobs))
      ;; gnuserv specific code