all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Lisp Programming Questions
@ 2009-10-06 22:40 clint.laskowski
From: clint.laskowski @ 2009-10-06 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, gnu.emacs.help. I have a few questions about programming in
Emacs Lisp. I hope you can help. Here they are:

1. Is this a good place to ask questions about programming in Emacs
Lisp, especially with regards to text processing? If there's a better
place, I'd appreciate knowing.

2. I want to write an interactive Elisp program to remove sequential
duplicate lines from a buffer. This buffer is not sorted, and it
should not be sorted. The program should simply look for two
sequential lines that are identical, delete one, and then move on to
the next line and do it over until it reaches the end of the buffer.

BUT, I do not want the answer to this problem (i.e., I don't want an
Elisp answer) ... I want hints on how to program it. I want to learn
the answer myself, if possible.

Any ideas or pointers?