all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-13 23:23 Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2010-05-13 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone!

Lately as I was trying out the beatifule Emacs 23.2 I had a little bit
of a picky issue with doc-view.el when everytime I hit PageDown/Up the
next or previous page appears but the view stays at the coordinates of
the previously viewed page.

This is/was a real annoyance for me.
So I did what a hacker would do in this case and had a look at the
source code.

I would really like to have a (image-bob) or (goto-line 1) into
(doc-view-goto-page (page)) and would like to ask if others here think
that this is a good idea because it makes it easier for people to
navigate from page to page or bad because it could cause issues with the
search functionallity that is implemented in it.

So whats your opinion?

Cheers,

Andreas Marschke.

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-14  3:52 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-14  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Lately as I was trying out the beatifule Emacs 23.2 I had a little bit
> of a picky issue with doc-view.el when everytime I hit PageDown/Up the
> next or previous page appears but the view stays at the coordinates of
> the previously viewed page.

This annoyance (for you) is the reason I use doc-view over other PDF
viewers (which all seem unable to provide it).  This way, I set up my
doc-view window so that I just see a whole page without wasting screen
real-estate on the margins and page up/down lets me flip through
pages without having to recenter them each time.

So, why do you find it annoying?  What's your typical usage which makes
this a misfeature?  Is it because your window only displays a part of
a page so you have to move through a page to read it before passing to
the next one?

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-15  3:30   ` Andreas
From: Andreas @ 2010-05-15  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So, why do you find it annoying?  What's your typical usage which makes
> this a misfeature?  Is it because your window only displays a part of
> a page so you have to move through a page to read it before passing to
> the next one?

First of all when I read something like the lisp intro pdf with my
beautiful emacs I try to not restrain the eyes because of small text so
I resize it considerably to have a convenient reading experience and
still keep my head on the important matter of the text.

As my screen realestate is mostly very very skimpy and because Im using
a 17" monitor the page is bound to be too big to fit on it in whole
thats why I need to scroll up everytime I switch the page just to get to
the beginning of the next writing.

Thats why I would like to have this feature.

Btw: My skills around gnus and usenet are still a bit shit there for I
needed to find my mail again , didnt find it first send a new one you
can easyly ignore it if it appears here.

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-15 11:35   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2010-05-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas <xxtjaxx@googlemail.com> wrote:

>   Lately as I was trying out the beatifule Emacs 23.2 I had a
>   little bit of a picky issue with doc-view.el when everytime I
>   hit PageDown/Up the next or previous page appears but the
>   view stays at the coordinates of the previously viewed page.

This should be optional behavior.

I often view PDF documents with a reader scaled to fit the
*width* of a page but not its *height* too.  This way when I
scroll down through a page change and the new page is displayed
from its starting point I can "scroll" through a full document
without having to recenter each page.

In "continuous" mode this is a wonderful way of paging through a
full document, reading all the text as I go...

I haven't seen the behavior that keeps the same coordinates after
page switching.  For me "continuous" or non-continuous mode of
docview seems to work the same.

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-15 19:44     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-15 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Lately as I was trying out the beatifule Emacs 23.2 I had a
>> little bit of a picky issue with doc-view.el when everytime I
>> hit PageDown/Up the next or previous page appears but the
>> view stays at the coordinates of the previously viewed page.
> This should be optional behavior.
> I often view PDF documents with a reader scaled to fit the
> *width* of a page but not its *height* too.  This way when I
> scroll down through a page change and the new page is displayed
> from its starting point I can "scroll" through a full document
> without having to recenter each page.

IIUC you don't use page-up and page-down, right?

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-15 19:48     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-05-15 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So, why do you find it annoying?  What's your typical usage which makes
>> this a misfeature?  Is it because your window only displays a part of
>> a page so you have to move through a page to read it before passing to
>> the next one?
[...]
> As my screen realestate is mostly very very skimpy and because Im using
> a 17" monitor the page is bound to be too big to fit on it in whole
> thats why I need to scroll up everytime I switch the page just to get to
> the beginning of the next writing.

Have you tried to use Space/Backspace rather than page-up/page-down,
after setting doc-view-continuous to t ?  It should work a lot better
when the window is not large enough to show the whole page height.

* Re: DocView Behaviour
@ 2010-05-16  1:05       ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2010-05-16  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 15 May 2010 15:44:01 -0400, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>> Lately as I was trying out the beatifule Emacs 23.2 I had a
>>> little bit of a picky issue with doc-view.el when everytime I
>>> hit PageDown/Up the next or previous page appears but the
>>> view stays at the coordinates of the previously viewed page.
>>
>> This should be optional behavior.
>>
>> I often view PDF documents with a reader scaled to fit the *width* of
>> a page but not its *height* too.  This way when I scroll down through
>> a page change and the new page is displayed from its starting point I
>> can "scroll" through a full document without having to recenter each
>> page.
>
> IIUC you don't use page-up and page-down, right?

Hi Stefan,

You are right.  I don't use page-up or page-down very often.  I usually
read a PDF document from start to end, hitting SPC to scroll through the
text.