all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* forward-sentence
@ 2010-12-07 17:20 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-12-07 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If the desire is to edit the end of a sentence, why is it that M-e moves
point past the punctuation?

To my way of thinking, there is a disjunction between say M-f and M-e;
between M-b and M-a.  Do 'em.  Doesn't it bug you?  Bugs me.

* RE: forward-sentence
@ 2010-12-07 17:59 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-07 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

Hi Sean,

> If the desire is to edit the end of a sentence,

I don't think it is.  The desire is to move forward by one or more sentences.

When you use M-f is the desire necessarily to edit the last char in the symbol
name?

> why is it that M-e moves point past the punctuation?

The punctuation is part of the sentence.  M-e moves past the sentence.

> To my way of thinking, there is a disjunction between say M-f and M-e;
> between M-b and M-a.  Do 'em.  Doesn't it bug you?  Bugs me.

No, I don't see any discrepancy.  M-f moves past the symbol; M-e moves past the
sentence.  M-b moves to the beginning of the symbol; M-a moves to the beginning
of the sentence.

C-h k M-a

...Move backward to start of sentence.

C-h k M-e

...Move forward to next end of sentence.

The latter could be better with "past" instead of "to", but either can be
correct depending on what is meant by "end of sentence".  (I would prefer
"past".)

If you follow the link for variable `sentence-end' (which presumably determines
what is meant by "end of sentence"), and then you follow the link from there for
function `sentence-end" (whew!), you finally get to the regexp that defines the
end of a sentence in the current context.  This regexp shows that "end of
sentence" includes any whitespace after the punctuation, so "to next end of
sentence" is strictly correct here.  But I would still think that "past" would
be better than "to" here, relying on an ordinary, informal understanding of "end
of sentence", which does not include trailing whitespace.

* Re: forward-sentence
@ 2010-12-07 18:24   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.21.1291855209.22010.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-07 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.12.2010 um 18:59 schrieb Drew Adams:

> This regexp shows that "end of
> sentence" includes any whitespace after the punctuation, so "to next
> end of
> sentence" is strictly correct here.  But I would still think that
> "past" would
> be better than "to" here, relying on an ordinary, informal
> understanding of "end
> of sentence", which does not include trailing whitespace.

It's almost a function "next-sentence". I would also prefer a variant
which ends the jump before the symbol that signals the end of a
sentence ([.!?]). (I certainly need to edit the text more often than
this mark. What happens when the actual sentence ends with one of many
possible quotation marks?)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
	A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with
simple mnemonic commands.

* RE: forward-sentence
@ 2010-12-07 18:39     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]     ` <mailman.21.1291855209.22010.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-12-07 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter_Dyballa; +Cc: 'Sean Sieger', help-gnu-emacs

> I would also prefer a variant which ends the jump before
> the symbol that signals the end of a sentence ([.!?]).

Write it.

Propose an enhancement or a new, alternative command to emacs-devel (or `M-x
report-emacs-bug' for an enhancement request).

* Re: forward-sentence
       [not found]     ` <mailman.21.1291855209.22010.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-12-10 18:58       ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2010-12-10 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-12-09, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>     It's almost a function "next-sentence". I would also prefer a variant
>     which ends the jump before the symbol that signals the end of a
>     sentence ([.!?]). (I certainly need to edit the text more often than
>     this mark. What happens when the actual sentence ends with one of many
>     possible quotation marks?)
>
> Yes!  Thank you.

What is your problem?  Just back off the punctuation after going
forward sentence(s).  Do it in an advice, or rebind the command to the
compound one.

Ilya