all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* String replace with lisp code
@ 2011-07-18  5:36 C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2011-07-18  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

During search/replace, how can I use  the evaluation of a lisp expression as
the substitution string?

An example could be ... say I want to replace the occurrence of a certain
word with the word prefixed with its occurrence count -

For example -  If I'd like to replace the occurrence of sea in  -
She sells sea shells on the sea shore
with
She sells (1)sea shells on the (2)sea shore.

Or perhaps a more frequent use case of adding line number to each line

(while I was typing this, I got the idea of using the keyboard macro to
achieve this .... is there a better way though?)

Regards,
Kashyap

* Re: String replace with lisp code
@ 2011-07-18  6:13 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-18  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.07.2011 07:36, schrieb C K Kashyap:
> Hi,
> During search/replace, how can I use  the evaluation of a lisp expression as
> the substitution string?
>
> An example could be ... say I want to replace the occurrence of a certain
> word with the word prefixed with its occurrence count -
>
> For example -  If I'd like to replace the occurrence of sea in  -
> She sells sea shells on the sea shore
> with
> She sells (1)sea shells on the (2)sea shore.
>
> Or perhaps a more frequent use case of adding line number to each line
>
> (while I was typing this, I got the idea of using the keyboard macro to
> achieve this .... is there a better way though?)
>
> Regards,
> Kashyap

M-x query-replace-regexp,
\(sea\)
RET
\,(progn (or count (setq count 1))(setq count (1+ count))(concat "("
(number-to-string count) ")" \1))
RET

;;;;;;;;;;;;

\,EXPR

evaluates the expression and the takes the result for replacement.

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/python-mode
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: String replace with lisp code
@ 2011-07-18  6:14 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2011-07-18  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. K. Kashyap; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* 2011-07-18T11:06:53+05:30 * C. K. Kashyap wrote:

> During search/replace, how can I use the evaluation of a lisp
> expression as the substitution string?

Let's read this part of the reference manual:

    C-h r m Regexp Replace RET

> (while I was typing this, I got the idea of using the keyboard macro
> to achieve this .... is there a better way though?)

I think this is a good option.

* Re: String replace with lisp code
@ 2011-07-18  8:07   ` C K Kashyap
From: C K Kashyap @ 2011-07-18  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> M-x query-replace-regexp,
> \(sea\)
> RET
> \,(progn (or count (setq count 1))(setq count (1+ count))(concat "("
> (number-to-string count) ")" \1))
> RET
>
> ;;;;;;;;;;;;
>
> \,EXPR
>
> evaluates the expression and the takes the result for replacement.
>

> Andreas
>
> --
> https://launchpad.net/python-**mode <https://launchpad.net/python-mode>
> https://launchpad.net/s-x-**emacs-werkstatt/<https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/>

Thank you very much Teemu and Andreas!

@ 2011-07-22  0:39   ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2011-07-22  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:

>> During search/replace, how can I use  the evaluation of a lisp expression as
>> the substitution string?

>> An example could be ... say I want to replace the occurrence of a certain
>> word with the word prefixed with its occurrence count -

>> For example -  If I'd like to replace the occurrence of sea in  -
>> She sells sea shells on the sea shore
>> with
>> She sells (1)sea shells on the (2)sea shore.

>> Or perhaps a more frequent use case of adding line number to each line

>> (while I was typing this, I got the idea of using the keyboard macro to
>> achieve this .... is there a better way though?)

> M-x query-replace-regexp,
> \(sea\)
> RET
> \,(progn (or count (setq count 1))(setq count (1+
> count))(concat "(" (number-to-string count) ")" \1))
> RET

> \,EXPR

> evaluates the expression and the takes the result for replacement.

BTW, the number of previous replacements is available as
"\#".

Tim