all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-05-01 17:16 Thomas Lord
From: Thomas Lord @ 2012-05-01 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Is it viable to implement GNU Emacs Lisp in
Javascript?   Has anyone explored the question
and gotten anywhere?

Thanks,
-t

* Re: emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-05-01 17:42 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-05-01 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:

> Is it viable to implement GNU Emacs Lisp in
> Javascript?   Has anyone explored the question
> and gotten anywhere?

The other way around:
 Ejacs is a JavaScript interpreter for Emacs, written entirely in Emacs
   Lisp.
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.de/2008/11/ejacs-javascript-interpreter-for-emacs.html

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-05-01 17:50   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2012-05-01 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 19:42, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:
>
>> Is it viable to implement GNU Emacs Lisp in
>> Javascript?   Has anyone explored the question
>> and gotten anywhere?

http://ceaude.twoticketsplease.de/articles/a-survey-of-javascript-lisp-implementations.html

* Re: emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-05-01 17:59   ` Thomas Lord
From: Thomas Lord @ 2012-05-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-devel

Well, the specific goal I had in mind was this:

Suppose that you could run GNU Emacs in any decent browser,
storing your files over the net -- in something similar
to DropBox or Google Drive.  The servers would be free software,
with multiple providers, good terms of service,
and sane security features, unlike DropBox and Google
Drive.

-t

@ 2012-05-01 18:00     ` Thomas Lord
From: Thomas Lord @ 2012-05-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Thorsten Jolitz, emacs-devel

Thanks!  That's a handy survey.

That makes it look not easy but definitely doable.

-t

@ 2012-05-02 14:44     ` Jeremiah Dodds
From: Jeremiah Dodds @ 2012-05-02 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thomas Lord; +Cc: Thorsten Jolitz, emacs-devel

Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:

> Well, the specific goal I had in mind was this:
>
> Suppose that you could run GNU Emacs in any decent browser,
> storing your files over the net -- in something similar
> to DropBox or Google Drive.  The servers would be free software,
> with multiple providers, good terms of service,
> and sane security features, unlike DropBox and Google
> Drive.
>
> -t

It would probably be easier to work on embedding emacs in a browser,
rather than dealing with writing an implementation of elisp in
javascript. It that vein, you might want to take a look at
https://github.com/stsquad/emacs_chrome .

* Re: emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-05-31 23:35   ` Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2012-05-31 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:
>
>> Is it viable to implement GNU Emacs Lisp in
>> Javascript?   Has anyone explored the question
>> and gotten anywhere?
>
> The other way around:
>  Ejacs is a JavaScript interpreter for Emacs, written entirely in Emacs
>   Lisp.
> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.de/2008/11/ejacs-javascript-interpreter-for-emacs.html

Is there any advantage to implementing javascript interpreter in a
language like emacs lisp which is dynamic binding versus clisp or
scheme which is static binding ?

Franz

* Re: emacs lisp in javascript?
@ 2012-06-01  4:05     ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2012-06-01  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Fren Zeee <frenzeee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Thorsten Jolitz
> <tjolitz@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is it viable to implement GNU Emacs Lisp in
>>> Javascript?   Has anyone explored the question
>>> and gotten anywhere?
>>
>> The other way around:
>>  Ejacs is a JavaScript interpreter for Emacs, written entirely in Emacs
>>   Lisp.
>> http://steve-yegge.blogspot.de/2008/11/ejacs-javascript-interpreter-for-emacs.html
>
> Is there any advantage to implementing javascript interpreter in a
> language like emacs lisp which is dynamic binding versus clisp or
> scheme which is static binding ?

Quote from Steve Yegge:
,----------------------------------------------------------------------
| I had big plans for Ejacs. I was going to make it a full-featured,
| high-performance JavaScript interpreter, with all the Emacs internals
| surfaced as JavaScript native host objects, so you could write Emacs
| customizations using object-oriented programming.

From reading the cited blog, I would guess that this was more a
personnal project from somebody who loves Emacs and Javascript and
started a project that made him learn much more about both.

--
cheers,
Thorsten