I would love to hear your feedback. >> (save-restriction >> (widen) > > Please add a comment explaining why widening should be used here. Widening is not necessary any more. >> do (let ((buffer-read-only)) >> (put-text-property (point) end >> 'invisible my-dired-hide-details-mode)) > > Better bind inhibit-read-only to t. Or better yet, use > with-silent-modifications (but move it outside the loop). > > Also, rather than set the invisible property to nil or t, better set > it to another symbol (e.g. `dired-details'), whose meaning is then > controlled by add-to-invisibility-spec. Right. Obviously this simplifies the implementation. >> (defadvice dired-insert-set-properties >> (after my-add-hide-props (beg end) activate) > > Obviously, this would have to be turned into a patch, and since it's > not small, it would need to be moved to its own function (which would > be called from dired-insert-set-properties). Check the new patch. Altogether 7 new lines are added to dired-insert-set-properties. >> (defadvice find-dired (after my-fix-move-process-mark-to-arg activate) >> (move-marker (process-mark (get-buffer-process (current-buffer))) >> (save-excursion >> (goto-char (point-min)) >> (forward-line 1) >> (point)))) > > How is that related to dired-details? This is not necessary any more. My former implementation hid every non-file line that dired-insert-set-properties is called upon. Vanilla dired calls dired-insert-set-properties on every line except the directory headerline so my-dired-hide-details-mode hid the information line. total used in directory RMS available VI Initially find-dired inserts the directory headerline, newline and the find arguments and set the process mark is set to 1. In the process filter of find find-dired evals (dired-insert-set-properties (process-mark proc) (1+ (point))) (move-marker (process-mark proc) (1+ (point))) with (point) being right before the end of the last complete line added by find. That is dired-insert-set-properties is called on the first and second line so my former code added the invisible property to the directory headerline as well. This is why I added that advice - just move the process mark to the second line so dired-insert-set-properties is not called on the directory headerline. I removed the hiding of non-file lines. Hiding full lines via text properties might cause confusion when it comes to interactive line movement. There are no changed to find-dired.el now. Christopher