all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Can I turn on some minor mode on specific files?
@ 2013-05-26  1:20 Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-26  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi list,

   I sometimes do not need to spell check for all the text files, but
   only a few specific files on-line. So I would like the spell checker
   like flymake only turned on for these files. Is there a way to do so?
   I guess that the file-local variable might help, however I am not
   familiar with the `eval' syntax.

   Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hongxu Chen

* Re: Can I turn on some minor mode on specific files?
       [not found] <mailman.392.1369531227.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-05-26  1:34 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-05-26  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
>    I sometimes do not need to spell check for all the text files, but
>    only a few specific files on-line. So I would like the spell checker
>    like flymake only turned on for these files. Is there a way to do so?
>    I guess that the file-local variable might help, however I am not
>    familiar with the `eval' syntax.

Just put: -*- mode:flyspell -*-
on the first or second line.

Alternatively, put:

Local Variables:
mode: flyspell
End:

within the last 512 bytes of the file.

If you want to activate it for a whole familly of files determined by
their path (eg. extension, name or directory component), you can use
auto-mode-alist.

You can take the lisper out of the lisp job, but you can't take the lisp out
of the lisper (; -- antifuchs

* Re: Can I turn on some minor mode on specific files?
@ 2013-05-26  3:39   ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-26  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It works, thanks, Pascal.
Didn't realize that I could use `mode' that way. Seems that it specifies
the additional minor-mode, but it is not a variable(at least `C-h v'
cannot fetch it). So what is the mechanism?

Another question, is the local variable specified should be limited to
be within 512 bytes exactly? I haven't found the related docs yet.

--

@ 2013-05-26  6:25     ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2013-05-26  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Another question, is the local variable specified should be limited to
> be within 512 bytes exactly? I haven't found the related docs yet.

M-: (info "(emacs)Specifying file variables")

* Re: Can I turn on some minor mode on specific files?
@ 2013-05-26 12:33       ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bernardo.bacic; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

But it complains:

  Info-find-file: Info file emacs does not exist

I am runnning on Emacs 24.3.

Also, Pascal's advice is NOT correct since adding `mode' in the modeline
would change the major mode rather than minor modes, and the right way
is to append the following:

# Local Variables:
# eval: (flyspell-mode 1)
# End:

@ 2013-05-26 12:59         ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-05-26 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongxu Chen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

If you are on debian, try

        sudo apt-get install emacs23-common-non-dfsg

@ 2013-05-26 13:29           ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-26 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, I can get the info page now:-)

@ 2013-05-26 13:45         ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]           ` <mailman.411.1369578019.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-05-26 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:

> But it complains:
>
>   Info-find-file: Info file emacs does not exist
>
> I am runnning on Emacs 24.3.
>
> Also, Pascal's advice is NOT correct since adding `mode' in the modeline
> would change the major mode rather than minor modes, and the right way
> is to append the following:

You should of course put your major mode first, but you can add as many
minor modes you want:

-*- mode:text;mode:hs-minor;mode:flyspell -*-

@ 2013-05-26 14:20           ` Hongxu Chen
       [not found]           ` <mailman.411.1369578019.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-26 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

So in this way I have to add the major-mode explicitly then?

@ 2013-05-26 14:49             ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-05-26 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:

> So in this way I have to add the major-mode explicitly then?

Yes, it seems to be the case, indeed.

@ 2013-05-27  2:16               ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-05-27  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal J. Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs