all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I avoid mapping of § by sgml-mode.el?
@ 2013-11-11 15:04 Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-11-11 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fellow Emacs users,

I use and abuse a private keymap using the § key as prefix-command. It
is conveniently located under the ESC key on my iMac keyboard,
and not used by me for any other purpose. This works fine in all
modes except in sgml mode. There the key is bound to
sgml-maybe-name-self:

    § runs the command sgml-maybe-name-self, which is an interactive
    compiled Lisp function in `sgml-mode.el'.

I have looked into sgml-mode.el but my lisp does not suffice to
find a way to avoid this mapping.

Can some more knowledgeable person give me a recipe to avoid this
mapping by sgml-mode?

Thanks in advance,

Guido

* Re: How can I avoid mapping of § by sgml-mode.el?
@ 2013-11-12  0:57 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-11-12  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Guido Van Hoecke <guivho@gmail.com> writes:

> Fellow Emacs users,
>
> I use and abuse a private keymap using the § key as prefix-command. It
> is conveniently located under the ESC key on my iMac keyboard,
> and not used by me for any other purpose. This works fine in all
> modes except in sgml mode. There the key is bound to
> sgml-maybe-name-self:
>
>     § runs the command sgml-maybe-name-self, which is an interactive
>     compiled Lisp function in `sgml-mode.el'.
>
> I have looked into sgml-mode.el but my lisp does not suffice to
> find a way to avoid this mapping.
>
> Can some more knowledgeable person give me a recipe to avoid this
> mapping by sgml-mode?

You can shut the whole thing off by calling the function
(sgml-name-8bit-mode), or setting the variable of the same name to 'nil.
That will prevent automatic conversion of any characters, however, which
may not be what you want. You could zap that particular character only
with:

(aset sgml-char-names 167 nil)

Hope that helps,
Eric

* Re: How can I avoid mapping of § by sgml-mode.el?
@ 2013-11-12  5:32 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-11-12  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/11/13 8:04 AM, Guido Van Hoecke wrote:
> Fellow Emacs users,
>
> I use and abuse a private keymap using the § key as prefix-command. It
> is conveniently located under the ESC key on my iMac keyboard,
> and not used by me for any other purpose. This works fine in all
> modes except in sgml mode. There the key is bound to
> sgml-maybe-name-self:
>
>      § runs the command sgml-maybe-name-self, which is an interactive
>      compiled Lisp function in `sgml-mode.el'.
>
> I have looked into sgml-mode.el but my lisp does not suffice to
> find a way to avoid this mapping.
>
> Can some more knowledgeable person give me a recipe to avoid this
> mapping by sgml-mode?

(add-hook 'sgml-mode-hook
	  (lambda () (local-unset-key "§")))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: How can I avoid mapping of § by sgml-mode.el?
@ 2013-11-12  7:46   ` Guido Van Hoecke
From: Guido Van Hoecke @ 2013-11-12  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thanks Kevin!