all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disable erc-fill-mode
@ 2014-03-28  1:30 Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-28  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to disable erc-fill-mode without luck.

It's a bit difficult to explain, but f.ex if I do M-x erc-fill-mode in a
channel, it toggles off, and from here on it's really off.

, but if I go into a new channel with /j hukarz, it's on again.

So, there's no way to keep it off.

I have (erc-fill-disable) in my config, as well.

I have emacs-24.3.50.1 and erc-5.3 on GNU/Linux.

Any pointers as to what I can try?

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Disable erc-fill-mode
@ 2014-03-29 19:46 ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:

> I'm trying to disable erc-fill-mode without luck.

Is help-gnu-emacs the proper mailing list to ask this? I find that the
erc mailing list is dead?

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Disable erc-fill-mode
@ 2014-03-30  5:28   ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2014-03-30  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien (2014-03-29 23:46 +0400) wrote:

> Esben Stien <b0ef@esben-stien.name> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to disable erc-fill-mode without luck.
>
> Is help-gnu-emacs the proper mailing list to ask this? I find that the
> erc mailing list is dead?

Try to remove `fill' symbol from `erc-modules' variable or just set the
latter to the list of modules you need - (info "(erc) Modules").

--
Alex Kost

* Re: Disable erc-fill-mode
@ 2014-03-31 18:18     ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-31 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Try to remove `fill' symbol from `erc-modules' variable or just set the
> latter to the list of modules you need - (info "(erc) Modules").

I copied the following into my irc.lisp file and evaluated it, but there's
still no difference.

(defcustom erc-modules '(netsplit button match track completion readonly
			 networks ring autojoin noncommands irccontrols
			 move-to-prompt stamp menu list)
  "A list of modules which ERC should enable.
If you set the value of this without using `customize' remember to call
\(erc-update-modules) after you change it.  When using `customize', modules
removed from the list will be disabled."
  :get (lambda (sym)
	 ;; replace outdated names with their newer equivalents
	 (erc-migrate-modules (symbol-value sym)))
  :set (lambda (sym val)
	 ;; disable modules which have just been removed
	 (when (and (boundp 'erc-modules) erc-modules val)
	   (dolist (module erc-modules)
	     (unless (member module val)
	       (let ((f (intern-soft (format "erc-%s-mode" module))))
		 (when (and (fboundp f) (boundp f) (symbol-value f))
		   (message "Disabling `erc-%s'" module)
		   (funcall f 0))))))
	 (set sym val)
	 ;; this test is for the case where erc hasn't been loaded yet
	 (when (fboundp 'erc-update-modules)
	   (erc-update-modules)))
  :type
  '(set
    :greedy t
    (const :tag "autoaway: Set away status automatically" autoaway)
    (const :tag "autojoin: Join channels automatically" autojoin)
    (const :tag "button: Buttonize URLs, nicknames, and other text" button)
    (const :tag "capab: Mark unidentified users on servers supporting CAPAB"
	   capab-identify)
    (const :tag "completion: Complete nicknames and commands (programmable)"
	   completion)
    (const :tag "hecomplete: Complete nicknames and commands (obsolete, use \"completion\")" hecomplete)
    (const :tag "dcc: Provide Direct Client-to-Client support" dcc)
    (const :tag "fill: Wrap long lines" fill)
    (const :tag "identd: Launch an identd server on port 8113" identd)
    (const :tag "irccontrols: Highlight or remove IRC control characters"
	   irccontrols)
    (const :tag "keep-place: Leave point above un-viewed text" keep-place)
    (const :tag "list: List channels in a separate buffer" list)
    (const :tag "log: Save buffers in logs" log)
    (const :tag "match: Highlight pals, fools, and other keywords" match)
    (const :tag "menu: Display a menu in ERC buffers" menu)
    (const :tag "move-to-prompt: Move to the prompt when typing text"
	   move-to-prompt)
    (const :tag "netsplit: Detect netsplits" netsplit)
    (const :tag "networks: Provide data about IRC networks" networks)
    (const :tag "noncommands: Don't display non-IRC commands after evaluation"
	   noncommands)
    (const :tag
	   "notify: Notify when the online status of certain users changes"
	   notify)
    (const :tag "notifications: Send notifications on PRIVMSG or nickname mentions"
	   notifications)
    (const :tag "page: Process CTCP PAGE requests from IRC" page)
    (const :tag "readonly: Make displayed lines read-only" readonly)
    (const :tag "replace: Replace text in messages" replace)
    (const :tag "ring: Enable an input history" ring)
    (const :tag "scrolltobottom: Scroll to the bottom of the buffer"
	   scrolltobottom)
    (const :tag "services: Identify to Nickserv (IRC Services) automatically"
	   services)
    (const :tag "smiley: Convert smileys to pretty icons" smiley)
    (const :tag "sound: Play sounds when you receive CTCP SOUND requests"
	   sound)
    (const :tag "stamp: Add timestamps to messages" stamp)
    (const :tag "spelling: Check spelling" spelling)
    (const :tag "track: Track channel activity in the mode-line" track)
    (const :tag "truncate: Truncate buffers to a certain size" truncate)
    (const :tag "unmorse: Translate morse code in messages" unmorse)
    (const :tag "xdcc: Act as an XDCC file-server" xdcc)
    (repeat :tag "Others" :inline t symbol))
  :group 'erc)

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Disable erc-fill-mode
@ 2014-03-31 18:48       ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2014-03-31 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Esben Stien (2014-03-31 22:18 +0400) wrote:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Try to remove `fill' symbol from `erc-modules' variable or just set the
>> latter to the list of modules you need - (info "(erc) Modules").
>
> I copied the following into my irc.lisp file and evaluated it, but there's
> still no difference.
>
> (defcustom erc-modules '(netsplit button match track completion readonly
> 			 networks ring autojoin noncommands irccontrols
> 			 move-to-prompt stamp menu list)
>   :group 'erc)

Why "irc.lisp"?  According to (info "(erc) Getting Started"), it should
be "~/.emacs.d/.ercrc.el" or just use your ".emacs" (or
"~/.emacs.d/init.el").

And you don't need to copy that defcustom, just set that variable.
Like this:

(setq erc-modules '(netsplit button match track completion readonly

@ 2014-03-31 19:09         ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-31 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Why "irc.lisp"?

Well, I just one file for each "techmology" in ~/.emacs-conf

> (setq erc-modules '(netsplit button match track completion readonly
>                     networks ring autojoin noncommands irccontrols
>                     move-to-prompt stamp menu list))

That actually worked, it seems;)

Really, really great. This has been bugging me for more than a year;),
hehe.

Thanks

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a