Eli Zaretskii [2014-06-20 17:04:37 +03:00] wrote: >> If any spell-checker is enabled by default it should also actually >> work with all/most human languages and the way users expect. >> Otherwise it gets in the way. There are languages which can't be >> spell-checked with ispell-like programs > > Which languages are those? Do you mean Finnish, or do you mean > something else? I mean that Ispell-like programs can't be used either because a dictionary for a language doesn't exist (a lot of languages) or can't/doesn't provide a decent checker for a language (Finnish, at least). > How do you see that ispell.el is specific to "ispell-like programs"? I'm confused. From where I see it ispell.el is about ispell-like interface all over the place. > I always thought Hunspell should support Finnish, since it was written > to support Hungarian. What am I missing? In theory Hunspell probably could but it doesn't. Finnish people use Voikko which is a shared library that provides spell-checker, hyphenation, syntax checker, morphological analyze. It's the Finnish high-quality language technology which everybody in the free software world uses. Enchant spelling checker library can use Voikko as a back-end. Enchant even provides a simple ispell-like command-line tool which has ispell switches "-d", "-a" and "-l". Didn't manage to get it working with Emacs ispell/flyspell. But my ultimate point is not me or Finnish. Spell-checking task depends on so many things outside the scope of Emacs project. So many different languages, different checker engines, missing dictionaries, missing engines. In many situations automatically enabled flyspell-mode just wouldn't work. I think it's a bad idea to turn on such feature by default.