all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs starts with current screen contents in its display buffer
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 04:10:20 +0200	[thread overview]

Segundo Bob <segundobob@gmail.com> writes:

> But this doesn't make emacs usable.  Nothing is ever
> erased from the screen.  Information is overwritten
> with new information, but when a new buffer is
> displayed the text beyond the text in the new buffer
> is still displayed.
>
> I have no idea which problem above to attack first.

You have a bunch of error messages/warnings there so
you can start with them.

> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el
> (source)...  Loading
> /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el
> (source)...  Error while loading
> 50dictionaries-common: Symbol's value as variable is
> void: debian-aspell-only-dictionary-alist Loading

I'm on Debian, and I have/use aspell, but I don't have
that (the alist) in the 50dictionaries-common file.

> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-goodies-el.el
> (source)...done Loading
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50pylint.el (source)...
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50pylint.el (source)...done
> (source)...done Loading
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50yasnippet.el (source)...
> flet' is an obsolete macro (as of 24.3); use either
> cl-flet' or `cl-letf'.  (lambda (field1 field2) ...)
> quoted with ' rather than with #' `flet' is an obsolete
> macro (as of 24.3); use either cl-flet' or `cl-letf'.

An "obsolete macro" shouldn't cause total havoc one
would think.

> Package assoc is obsolete!  Type C-x 1
> to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.

Yeah, same there.

All of that seems to relate to packages and/or the
installation of Emacs. Try not using any packages. Or
try reinstalling Emacs. What happens with 'emacs -Q'?

--
underground experts united