all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* have emcacs call gnus automatically
@ 2015-01-09 12:01 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-09 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want to start an emacs session that calls gnus automatically. I'm not
sure it can be done. I run emacs24 with embedded gnus under Debian
Wheezy.

In my window manager, I have bound the Ctl-Alt-g keys to an executable
script that calls an emacs session that has a simple init file. In this
session I can do M-x gnus to read news. What I want to do is to have
that session instead have code that runs gnus immediately without my
having to call it with the M-x gnus command. That is, I want the keys
Ctl-Alt-g to start a gnus session.

Haines Brown

* Re: have emcacs call gnus automatically
@ 2015-01-09 12:17 ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2015-01-09 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Haines Brown; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

For what it's worth, I have gnus bound to the f9 key as so:

    (defun quick-gnus (&optional new-frame)
      (interactive "P")
      (if new-frame (gnus-other-frame)
         (gnus))
      (display-time-update))
    (global-set-key (kbd "<f9>") 'quick-gnus) ;; Check mail

If I wanted it to start when I start emacs, I'd just have (gnus) in  my .emacs file, probably before my switch-to-buffer commands. Does that help?

@ 2015-01-09 16:38 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2015-01-09 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> in gnu.emacs.help:
> I want to start an emacs session that calls gnus automatically. I'm
> not sure it can be done. I run emacs24 with embedded gnus under Debian
> Wheezy.

emacs -f gnus

should work.

--
DW

* Re: have emcacs call gnus automatically
@ 2015-01-11 12:13   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-11 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

> * Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> in gnu.emacs.help:
>> I want to start an emacs session that calls gnus automatically. I'm
>> not sure it can be done. I run emacs24 with embedded gnus under Debian
>> Wheezy.
>
> emacs -f gnus
>
> should work.

Thanks. What I did was simply to append to the end of the init file I'm
using for the emacs session the line (gnus).