all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing help display in echo area
@ 2015-01-17  8:03 Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2015-01-17  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Default behavior that I'll describe here appeared with emacs
25.0.50 and was not the default behavior with emacs 24.

When editing code (xml, lisp or whatever) each time a key is
pressed and some indication about current statement is
available (well I suppose so) this information is displayed in
the echo area. For instance if you type (defun in a lisp buffer
a message concernning defun syntax and properties will be
displayed in the echo area and it will be done repeatedly each
time you press a key provided point is inside the defun
statement.

This feature might surely be very useful to recall you
information about the code you are writing but if you use it in
conjunction with a vocal system like speechd-el it makes to
much noise ! So I'd like to disable this feature or at least to
be able to enable it only when I want. But I was not able to
discover which variable(s) controls this behavior.

So can please someone tell me which variable should be
customized.

Regards

Pierre

* Re: customizing help display in echo area
@ 2015-01-17  9:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-17  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:03:10 +0100 (CET)
> From: Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net>
>
> So can please someone tell me which variable should be
> customized.

Turn off global-eldoc-mode.

* Re: customizing help display in echo area
@ 2015-01-17  9:45 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-01-17  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-01-17, at 09:03, Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Default behavior that I'll describe here appeared with emacs
> 25.0.50 and was not the default behavior with emacs 24.

True, it was present earlier, but not enabled by default.

> When editing code (xml, lisp or whatever) each time a key is
> pressed and some indication about current statement is
> available (well I suppose so) this information is displayed in
> the echo area. For instance if you type (defun in a lisp buffer
> a message concernning defun syntax and properties will be
> displayed in the echo area and it will be done repeatedly each
> time you press a key provided point is inside the defun
> statement.
>
> This feature might surely be very useful to recall you
> information about the code you are writing but if you use it in
> conjunction with a vocal system like speechd-el it makes to
> much noise ! So I'd like to disable this feature or at least to
> be able to enable it only when I want. But I was not able to
> discover which variable(s) controls this behavior.

Surely it is useful!

But in your case, not so much so indeed.  Try disabling eldoc-mode.

> Regards
>
> Pierre

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: customizing help display in echo area
@ 2015-01-17 15:00   ` Pierre Lorenzon
From: Pierre Lorenzon @ 2015-01-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: customizing help display in echo area
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 11:36:03 +0200

>> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 09:03:10 +0100 (CET)
>> From: Pierre Lorenzon <devel@pollock-nageoire.net>
>>
>> So can please someone tell me which variable should be
>> customized.
>
> Turn off global-eldoc-mode.

  Thanks it works !

  Pierre